Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Dubai starting in July. My question is if it will be possible to qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion in this scenario, since taxes will be due in April of 2013 and so there will not be enough time (less than 365 days) for me to qualify for the bona-fide residence test.

In this type of case, is these any way to "carry forward" my exclusion and get some kind of refund in July of 2013, by the time that I DO spend a full calender year abroad?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
50,078 Posts
Take a look over in the Expat Tax section here. Expat Tax - Expat Forum For Expats, For Moving Overseas And For Jobs Abroad

The first year filing is the trickiest - but basically what happens is that you file for the appropriate extensions to your filing deadline until you have been outside the US for a full 12 consecutive months (physical presence test) and then you file your return for 2012, taking the FEIE for the part of the year that you were outside the US. You probably want to file a change of address form with the IRS sometime before the end of 2012, just to give them a heads up that something is different this year!

For 2013, you then can file using the bona fide resident test, if it applies - and you'll file using the regular deadlines (June 15th for those living outside the US, BTW - you get an automatic 2 month extension for filing from abroad).
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts