Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An individual in another forum posted a link to this insurance company, "GoHealthPlan insurance". While their rates are significantly lower than Aaro's I can find no info on them, other then their website. I've always been leery of "to good to be true" deals, but would at least like to know if anyone has used these folks, know anything about them?
Thanks in advance for any info?
John

·
Administrator
51,544 Posts
A quick glance at their site suggests that they are selling insurance for the US market. I don't see any reference to expat health insurance. There are some references to "international travel insurance" or to "travel insurance" - without checking closer, it's hard to tell which of those might qualify if you need health insurance to qualify for a visa.

If you need expat insurance (as opposed to travel insurance, which includes medical repatriation in case of serious accident or illness), the usual requirement is that the expat insurance must cover as much as the national health care system does (or requires). Much of what is marketed in the US as "travel insurance" or "international health insurance" only covers emergency care when you're outside the US. Expat health insurance normally covers regular doctor visits, screening tests, routine vaccinations, prescriptions and other day to day stuff. It helps if the plan states that it "meets visa requirements" or something similar.

The French national plan covers about 70% of most visits and treatments and then most people here have a mutuelle to cover the rest. Be wary of any plans that have "co-pays" or deductibles because national health plans don't have those (well, there is a sort of co-pay here in France, but it's 1€ for most things and 0,50€ for each prescription).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

A quick glance at their site suggests that they are selling insurance for the US market. I don't see any reference to expat health insurance. There are some references to "international travel insurance" or to "travel insurance" - without checking closer, it's hard to tell which of those might qualify if you need health insurance to qualify for a visa.

If you need expat insurance (as opposed to travel insurance, which includes medical repatriation in case of serious accident or illness), the usual requirement is that the expat insurance must cover as much as the national health care system does (or requires). Much of what is marketed in the US as "travel insurance" or "international health insurance" only covers emergency care when you're outside the US. Expat health insurance normally covers regular doctor visits, screening tests, routine vaccinations, prescriptions and other day to day stuff. It helps if the plan states that it "meets visa requirements" or something similar.

The French national plan covers about 70% of most visits and treatments and then most people here have a mutuelle to cover the rest. Be wary of any plans that have "co-pays" or deductibles because national health plans don't have those (well, there is a sort of co-pay here in France, but it's 1€ for most things and 0,50€ for each prescription).
Cheers,
Bev
Supposedly their "travel insurance" can be bought in lengths of 12 months, and meets the standards required in France, but I will need to do a lot and I mean a lot more research.
Is it possible if you retire to France to buy into the French Health Care system"
Thanks

·
Administrator
51,544 Posts
Supposedly their "travel insurance" can be bought in lengths of 12 months, and meets the standards required in France, but I will need to do a lot and I mean a lot more research.
Is it possible if you retire to France to buy into the French Health Care system"
Thanks
Be careful with that - there are a couple of visas for France that require health care coverage "with repatriation" benefits. These seem to be designed for students and others on non-renewable type visas where in case of serious accident or illness, they would want to be evacuated to their home country for treatment. (Because they're assumed to have coverage there.) This is actually travel health insurance, not expat insurance and for those visas, it does meet the French visa requirements.

There isn't really a way to buy into the French system. As a retiree, you are covered either by virtue of receiving a French pension, or by virtue of being covered in your home country (i.e. within the EU) on retirement.

There is the CMU, which is designed to provide health coverage to those of limited means who have no other access to the French national plan - but if you're on a retirement visa, one of the conditions of that visa is that you have adequate income (well above the limit to qualify for the CMU) and private health insurance. And they do check those points each time you renew your carte de séjour.

You may want to check some of the big international insurance companies: AXA, Allianz, Zurich, Swiss Life, Bupa and some of the insurance companies from the UK, which seem to have more offerings for long-term expats than the US companies do.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.