Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized this sounds like an odd question but in Peter Mayle's book, "A Year in Provence" he mentions goat racing. I've been in Provence for over a year now and I've never heard or seen anything about goat racing.

Does anybody know if such racing exist and if so, where and when such races occur?

·
Registered
594 Posts
goats

Probably in a remote village on a special occasion. Like in Bonnieux near Apt.

Why do you ask are you interested in goats or racing?

Gallus

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goat racing in Provence

Gallus,

Not really interested in either goat or racing. Just curious because it was mentioned in the book but I've never seen it anywhere. If there are goat races, I'd like to experience it just to say, "Been there, done that".

G

·
I realized this sounds like an odd question but in Peter Mayle's book, "A Year in Provence" he mentions goat racing. I've been in Provence for over a year now and I've never heard or seen anything about goat racing.

Does anybody know if such racing exist and if so, where and when such races occur?
Nope, just checked with my kid's nanny and other than the annual August race in the Luberon village of Bonnieux, they know of no others. As it's a rare event you may have to bouc ahead.

·
Registered
125 Posts
my husband and were all over France in June an although we went to the goat cheese area we did not see one goat! Where are all the milk poducing goats - not in the fields. ANyone know??
Thx

·
Registered
594 Posts
Shy maybe?

Dear Joi

Goats might be shy, which is not the case for cows... who always look for company, especially in France.

Just Kidding. In fact goat cheese production can be everywhere (anywhere) from Vosges (North-East) to Landes (South West). You can always refer to a cheese map (not a gps) to locate production area, pick the name of the cheese which is linked to a Village or a small region, and roam around. Local tourist offices and cheese shop can be of help. The best is to look for local markets: you'll always find a goat cheese producer, where you can arrange farm visits if you buy some cheese.

This is an example
Map of France with Cheese-France
You'll see that goat cheese can be found for instance in Valencay (Loire Valley).
Just Google maps it, and you'll see it is between Vierzon, Chateauroux and Tours.
While doing an excursion to the Loire Chateaux, you might want to look around , you'll find hundred of local goat cheeses to taste and buy, in farms or town/village markets.
You might not be able to see the goat. And it might be good to ask....

I used to stay in Provence where goats are in diminution but you can still find here and there a good number of farms. Especially if you do not search in the immediate vicinity of coastal region, but in "arriere-pays" (our French outback sort of) they are plentiful. While I was in Corsica, goat cheese, coppa, bred, red wine and fresh grapes (maybe not in this order) were my daily lunch (picnic on the beach, or under a pine tree). One cheese per day. Mmmmmmmmmm. Take it easy with the wine.

good goat hunting.

G

·
If you managed to go "all over" France in the space of a few weeks, then you must have done a awful lot of miles. I've been here for twenty years, and there's plenty I've yet to see.

Goats are raised all around Provence where I live, often in the more remote areas. How long did you spend in the "goat cheese area"?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dear Gallus,
I should have said goat cheese areas. We did go to La Fromagerie Dubois-Boulay in Sancerre and saw many examples of Le Crottin de Chavignol but no sightings of goats in any of the many fields. As much as we enjoyed the cheeses, I particularily wanted to photgraph the goats to add to my collection of sheep and cows from Europe. "France" magazine had touted the cheeses of the Sancerre area. In other areas we saw signs, shops and farms, with goat cheese for sale, but again no goats. Thank you for the map and I must concur - goats are shy!! My first photo at age 6 ,with a Kodak Brownie, was of a herd of cows where I was was raised in rural Scotland with cows, sheep and chickens; alas, no goats. To borrow the tagline from the new George Clooney film - Men Who Stare At Goats - "No goats, no glory" seemed to be my call throught our trip, but to no avail. Just no goats
Merci for your input.

Frogblogger:

Yes, we traveled 4969 miles (7997 km) mostly in rural areas. We did drive some unintented miles as to our GPS's was directionally challenged and had wicked sense of humor.
Not in this order, but we were either in or near: Paris, Orange, Albertville, Arles, Nimes, Montelimar,Amboise, Rousillon, Lyon, St. Remy de Provence, Seyne les Alpes, Aigues Morte, Baux de Provence, Ponte du Gard, Rocamadour, Digne des Baines, Les Mans, Ile de Re, La Rochelle, San Malo, Chantilly, many villages and finally in Senlis. 30 days of non stop touring. Loved it. We were, again,scouting for the region we would most like to live. But, no doubt have not seen all we wish to see,and are planning our exodus if our new house sells in this depressed market and our weakening dollar does not deplete to less than .25C LOL
We love French culture, most food and the way of life that is reminiscent of our lives in Scotland, except with much better weather, food and wine. You are most fortunate to have lived 20 years in such a place as Provence. Regards, Joi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.