1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Hello Guys,

Quite a bit in dilemma.

I have applied my EOI on 26th Feb 2016 as Mechanical Engineer 233512. Secured 60 points

Also, The Masters of Mechanical Engineering ( RMIT ) starts in July 2016.

Is it better to obtain a loan from India and then study in Australia or wait for PR and then study there?

If I wait for PR, based on my skill ( Mechanical ) and EOI day applied, could you please let me know when I would be granted the Visa?

Seniors please guide me, as loans in India would touch 40 lacks.
:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
:confused:

Hello Guys,

Quite a bit in dilemma.

I have applied my EOI on 26th Feb 2016 as Mechanical Engineer 233512. Secured 60 points

Also, The Masters of Mechanical Engineering ( RMIT ) starts in July 2016.

Is it better to obtain a loan from India and then study in Australia or wait for PR and then study there?

If I wait for PR, based on my skill ( Mechanical ) and EOI day applied, could you please let me know when I would be granted the Visa?

Seniors please guide me, as loans in India would touch 40 lacks.
:confused::confused:
If you want to study in oz and looking to finance your studies then i wont make difference if you are on PR or student visa. In both case you have to take loan from India bcoz PRs are not eligible for FEE-HELP nor you can get any loan from australian bank.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to study in oz and looking to finance your studies then i wont make difference if you are on PR or student visa. In both case you have to take loan from India bcoz PRs are not eligible for FEE-HELP nor you can get any loan from australian bank.
Thank you. So it,s better to take a loan and study. Also, is it necessary to study again in Australia to increase my chances of getting employed. I have four years of experience. I am planning to study Masters this July in Mechanical engineering. Is it necessary?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Firstly the timeline to get a visa from Visa lodge (after invite from EOI app) to Grant can take anywhere from 4 months to 12 months. It all depends on the quality of your application and if you have all the documents ready in time (the PCC, health report etc..). Since you've just placed the EOI application on 26th Feb, it's unlikely you'll get the PR by the JULY university start date.

Secondly, the Masters in ME from an Australian University will be very much worth it. You have two years to understand the Australian market, needs, how they conduct business and maybe even get an internship while in University. And you will get your PR before graduating, which makes you very employable.

As for loans, you'll need one from India if you want to start in July. If I were you, I'd start in July and not wait.

Thank you. So it,s better to take a loan and study. Also, is it necessary to study again in Australia to increase my chances of getting employed. I have four years of experience. I am planning to study Masters this July in Mechanical engineering. Is it necessary?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have a different take on masters. Maters dont make much difference in Australian job market. Employers are more interested in skills not higher degree. Most of the locals study in TAFE equivalent of ITI in India for technical education. TAFE is cheaper and better for technical education. 90%+ masters students are international students because locals dont see much use of doing masters just for getting jobs. Yes, if you are into research then go for it.

Better get PR and search jobs over here first. Avoid borrowing massive amount for education. Frankly there are not many jobs for mechanical engineers here so scan the market here before taking such a big risk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The advantage of getting a Masters degree is that the Universities have relationships with companies in the region and it can help during the job search and networking phase. So it's not really what you learn in your Masters program, but the professional network access of the Australian University.

Based on anecdotal evidence of friends in Australia, few who are Accountants chose to do a Masters and it helped in acquiring a job, while the IT/Systems guys didn't need a Masters. No one I know is a mechy unfortunately.

Taking out a 40 lakh loan is difficult investment and it's up to your to do a cost/benefit analysis as you have a good understanding of your background and experience.

I have a different take on masters. Maters dont make much difference in Australian job market. Employers are more interested in skills not higher degree. Most of the locals study in TAFE equivalent of ITI in India for technical education. TAFE is cheaper and better for technical education. 90%+ masters students are international students because locals dont see much use of doing masters just for getting jobs. Yes, if you are into research then go for it.

Better get PR and search jobs over here first. Avoid borrowing massive amount for education. Frankly there are not many jobs for mechanical engineers here so scan the market here before taking such a big risk.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The advantage of getting a Masters degree is that the Universities have relationships with companies in the region and it can help during the job search and networking phase. So it's not really what you learn in your Masters program, but the professional network access of the Australian University.

Based on anecdotal evidence of friends in Australia, few who are Accountants chose to do a Masters and it helped in acquiring a job, while the IT/Systems guys didn't need a Masters. No one I know is a mechy unfortunately.

Taking out a 40 lakh loan is difficult investment and it's up to your to do a cost/benefit analysis as you have a good understanding of your background and experience.
Thank You, you are right. Jobs for Mechanical Engineer's are very less. I will opt for a TAFE Course of 6 months. By the time I finish off my course, I will get accustomed to the job market, also hopefully I will get the PR. Taking a loan of 40 lacks is pointless and paying back would eat my time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey sandreshrego,
With the PR step completed, what's your decision now? What TAFE course are you planning to take?

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts