Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello, have you had any delivery delays/problems when expecting delivery of a parcel via Royal Mail (UK) to an address in Portugal.

There is an article in "The Portugal News" this week about this, but basically the problem is the Royal Mail have discontinued using the CTT Correios (Portuguese Post Office), and have contracted GLS, an international courier company based in Holland, to deliver the Royal Mail items here in Portugal.

The problem we have found here in Portugal, is that the Royal Mail are asking clients to contact their local post office for information about delayed Royal Mail mail/parcels, which is absurd as GLS are the company responsible for this, and you can view their website for "tracking".

In our own case a parcel was despatched on 6th April 2012 "International Signed For" by Royal Mail we have spent each day checking the Royal Mail "Track & Trace" facility on their website, phoning and visiting daily our local Correios. All of this was a complete waste of time as the Royal Mail had sent our consignment via the company GLS.

Our particular parcel has been in the UK, Germany, Spain & Portugal, the GLS delivery centre in Aveiro have returned the parcel to the sender in the UK as they could not contact us!

I would normally enclose web links to the relevant websites, but as a "newbie" on this forum I'm not allowed to post URL's till later.

I am considering contacting the British Embassy in Lisboa, as this is a serious matter for customers of Royal Mail.

Hope this is of interest
Ronnie

·
Banned
151 Posts
My own personal opinion of GLS is :- There bloody useless !!!
RM have used them for many years for anything over 2 kilos
If there using them now for smaller weights oh hell

In a short space of time I had 4 Large Parcels sent thru UK RM to myself

1 - Arrived only because I started phoning them 2x a day

3 - Where returned to UK as Address Unknown
The fact that my address was on 5 Sides of all the Parcles & Correct they where still not delivered at the first attempt

If your supplied with a Tracking Nº & it shows as landed in Lisboa get on the phone.

I know only use FedEx - UPS 7 day service

·
Registered
666 Posts
being a bit selfish here, does anyone know who Amazon use for their deliveries as I have one "in transit"

Thanks in advance

Rob

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
You should be able to track, as yours is a new house could be worthwhile speaking to your MRW
distribution centre, with maybe GPS co-ordinates.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You should be able to track, as yours is a new house could be worthwhile speaking to your MRW
distribution centre, with maybe GPS co-ordinates.
Good Point..................I am tracking with email alerts so will be in contact with them once I know where the package is.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
36 Posts
not sure this will reassure anyone - we've just posted a parcel (less than 2kg) to UK from PT - it took more than 2 weeks to arrive ... and that was with the more expensive 'tracker' system .... it took a week to get from the Algarve to Lisbon and another 4 days to arrive at Heathrow... humph!

·
Banned
151 Posts
not sure this will reassure anyone - we've just posted a parcel (less than 2kg) to UK from PT - it took more than 2 weeks to arrive ... and that was with the more expensive 'tracker' system .... it took a week to get from the Algarve to Lisbon and another 4 days to arrive at Heathrow... humph!
When I post to UK I take it in on Friday it's normally there by Tuesday
If I send any other time it can take forever ?

Phoned PO/RM UK when I had my 3 Parcels returned by GLS , They did not give a damn.
The Client who sent the Samples also did the same :- Same outcome

Hence FedEX - UPS , nothing arrives broken (Ceramics) & they drop it at my my door step

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gordon Bennet - Back in UK at mo sorting 3 parcels to send back to Pt.

Best quote was for TNT - 3-day delivery.

After reading the comments above - anyone have any better suggestions ?

Help ! coming back on 27th :confused2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bring them with you, extra case or excess probably less than send cost
Thanks for the suggestion Canoeman but .................

..........the 'parcels' are actually ruddy great boxes about 20 kg each and traveling alone with Ryanair so the extra baggage route is a non-starter - also from north UK Ryan is our only option :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
My own personal opinion of GLS is :- There bloody useless !!!
RM have used them for many years for anything over 2 kilos
If there using them now for smaller weights oh hell

In a short space of time I had 4 Large Parcels sent thru UK RM to myself

1 - Arrived only because I started phoning them 2x a day

3 - Where returned to UK as Address Unknown
The fact that my address was on 5 Sides of all the Parcles & Correct they where still not delivered at the first attempt

If your supplied with a Tracking Nº & it shows as landed in Lisboa get on the phone.

I know only use FedEx - UPS 7 day service
I agree with you Ingles. GLS are completely and utterly useless and I have been tearing my hair out trying to get my deliveries ever since the Royal Mail started using them for all signed for packages.

Initially I had the same problem Ronnie mentioned that was in The Portugal News and was told by the Royal Mail to go to my local post office because the tracking info on the Royal Mail website said that they had attempted to deliver but there was an incorrect address. My local correios knew nothing of course and were completely confused. When I finally managed to get through to someone at the Royal Mail who told me it was GLS who had the package it took me ALL day to get through to GLS Portugal to arrange a redelivery. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the address, they just couldn't be bothered.

Now I am going through the same problem again with 2 packages I have ordered from the UK, both of which I have been waiting for for more than 3 weeks. Why it takes them so long when DHL & MRW can deliver in 4 days is beyond me. I have been trying to get through to GLS ALL DAY again with no luck. I'm am seriously peed off. We should all complain to the Royal Mail so they know how aggrieved we are. The response I got from them is that they have used GLS for years and have had no problems with them. MY FOOT! :mad:

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Maybe because GLS have such a small operation in Portugal, according to their site they only have 7 distribution centers and 150 delivery vehicles, no doubt centered around major populated areas.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Maybe because GLS have such a small operation in Portugal, according to their site they only have 7 distribution centers and 150 delivery vehicles, no doubt centered around major populated areas.
That's more than enough for a country the size of Portugal

As "jellybean" wrote they can't be bothered to do the job there contracted to do.

So why are you trying to come up with an excuse for there lousy service ?

This may help

htpp://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/complaints-process

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
That's more than enough for a country the size of Portugal

As "jellybean" wrote they can't be bothered to do the job there contracted to do.

So why are you trying to come up with an excuse for there lousy service ?

This may help

htpp://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/complaints-process

I'm not making any excuses for them, but pointing that 150 vehicles to delivery throughout Portugal, isn't enough, that's 8 per administrative region hardly thick on the ground or sufficient to give a good service, or as you seem to think

"That's more than enough for a country the size of Portugal "

1 - 20 of 186 Posts