Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
10881 - 10900 of 10932 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
What you said is exactly the point though. The GTI visa is meant for highly established professionals (or super new talent). If you’re a junior academic, the GTI visa isn’t for you. DHA isn’t expecting junior academics to somehow “jump” up the ladder. They’re telling them to apply for a visa they’re qualified for.

I appreciate that DHA specified these guidelines because it offers an objective metric.
But I have seen them giving this visa to many postdocs. I don't think a postdoc is anything but a an early career academic.
In this case they may not give this visa to any postdoc. They might changed the rule and any postdoc is not qualified any more.

Sent from my LM-K410 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
But I have seen them giving this visa to many postdocs. I don't think a postdoc is anything but a an early career academic.
In this case they may not give this visa to any postdoc. They might changed the rule and any postdoc is not qualified any more.

I read from @DocHarp interpretation that if a postdoc who is within 3 years from graduation and has exceptional achievement is qualified, hence some have been granted the visa.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All (especially those, who applied in October),

I stopped checking this forum and tracking the progress, but today I received an Invitation Letter from the Global Talent Visa Program.

My profile: applied 6 October 2020, Energy Sector, Master of environmental engineering, am onshore and working in renewables and meet the income threshold requirement.
Visa granted!

My timeline:
6 Oct 2020 EOI submitted
3 Jun 2021 Invitation received
9 Jun 2021 Visa lodged
9 Jul 2021 s56 / RFI received - additional Police Clearance Certificates that include my patronymic name from Australia and Germany
11 Jul 2021 Response to RFI - they treated patronymic name as surname (which is incorrect) and I requested to confirm the correct use will be accepted
6 Sep 2021 updated s56/RFI - DHA confirmed the correct name combination required on the PCC
3 Oct 2021 German PCC received and uploaded to ImmiAccount
7 Oct 2021 - VISA GRANTED

I've been trying for an invitation for subclass 189 /190 for ages. My journey towards the skilled PR started in October 2016 - so I am beyond happy now. Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read from @DocHarp interpretation that if a postdoc who is within 3 years from graduation and has exceptional achievement is qualified, hence some have been granted the visa.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I can confirm this, to a certain extent. I have been invited and in the midst of preparing the necessary documents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can confirm this, to a certain extent. I have been invited and in the midst of preparing the necessary documents.
Were you onshore or offshore when invited? Which sector are you in? Could you please share your profile.
Many thanks and all the best for your application.

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to Skilled visa newsletters – September 2021:

"PhD students
Relevant PhD studies, irrespective of graduation date, are now considered for the assessment of prominence in the area. PhD students must demonstrate that they have a prior internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a priority sector."

Does this mean relevant PhD students can apply anytime during their PhD study (early, middle or late)as long as they can prove that they can provide internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a priority sector?

·
Registered
293 Posts
According to Skilled visa newsletters – September 2021:

"PhD students
Relevant PhD studies, irrespective of graduation date, are now considered for the assessment of prominence in the area. PhD students must demonstrate that they have a prior internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a priority sector."

Does this mean relevant PhD students can apply anytime during their PhD study (early, middle or late)as long as they can prove that they can provide internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a priority sector?
They are not qualified, regardless of what this newsletter says. The on ground situation saying that. Every PhD student I know say that, some with very good profile. How many PhD students were accepted after they changed the rule? None. Even posdoc are not qualified now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey folks, want to share my experience with GTI,
EOI Submission: July 2nd
RFI: July 20th
Response to RFI: Aug 2nd
UID: Aug 9th
Visa Lodgement: Aug 18th
Medical & Criminal check: Sep 8th
Visa Grant: Oct 11th

My profile:
Apply under HealthTech and DigitialTech, individually develop software tools for a healthcare global leader
Recent Ph.D. offshore
Salary above the threshold
Several publications and international conference presentations
Several international projects that improve the healthcare
No patent, no certificate
Some tools I developed are listed by NIH and my company, appear in news too (but None with my name)
Individual nominator (who happen to be the editor of one of my publications)

Some experience:
Agents: I decided to use an agent because that program requirements become more strict and I am offshore. I chose Hannan Tew in the end because they are responsive (always replied within hours vs some as good lawyers but responded to the message in days). They are also very experienced, consultation with Mihan was great. He knows a lot about the program and provided a lot of tips for writing a cover letter. Additionally, he was accurate and honest about all timelines, I avoided any lawyer who was still selling "Everyone can get GTI in two weeks or two months or so" at the beginning, as the average waiting time is clearly much longer. However, he did provide me with some tips to expedite my application (luckily it worked out).

RFI: I got RFI about my reference, projects, and form 1000. Basically, the officer wants more clear message why I am qualified. In the beginning, I submitted two reference letters from whom I work the closest, but they are not professors or directors. The officer was looking for a letter from a senior member, however (professor or company director), so I added three letters from my senior mentor and two directors who I worked with. This forum rocks and it has a lot of useful information for how to ensemble my cover letter. The lawyer is very good, but only I know about the technical details and the impact of each project. My experience is that it is better to briefly introduce the impact to Australia and the international community for each project listed in the cover letter. It is also helpful to introduce the project in a common language and use some media references to state the impact (e.g. I dig some government links about the importance of the area I am working on and the article said Australia wanted to develop this field).

·
Registered
1 Posts
darkknight2099 - Please stop spreading misinformation on message boards about who is qualified and who is not, you are not an expert whatsoever nor is your frame of reference. Relevant PhD studies, irrespective of graduation date implies graduation - we know, and can confirm this. It does not imply 'PhD student', it implies past tense. It also implies PhD students that are CURRENT students but that have a prior PhD and/or exceptional achievements. Postdocs are absolutely qualified provided they meet the requirements and not synonymous with entry level academics at all, and Academic Level D or E is specific for those applying within the Education sector that have a different background. If this amount of misinformation continues we will be seeking your banning, this is disgraceful hubris on your end, not helpful, and a misappropriation of information/hearsay. Find another hobby.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for quick response against the statement made by darknight2099 regarding who is qualified or not. When he/she is neither an immigration officer nor immigration agent. I believe this platform is meant to guide new commers by gaining experience from other applicants who have been successful with their GTI visa. I don't understand what he meant by PhD student. I have seen many recent PhD graduates that have a well deserved profile in their areas of discipline who have international recognition far better than even associate Prof. Darknight 2099 should desist from posting such rubbish. This platform is meant to encourage whoever that thinks is eligible not to discourage or castigate recent PhD graduates that falls within the three years as mentioned by the DHA. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys, here is an RFI email I received today. For those who also receive the RFI emails, may I ask is it the same as yours? And Are the BOLD context the REAL required files? It seems that this RFI email includes everything... and most files I have already submitted in my EOI. What exact files should I reply to this email? Your advice is appreciated.

Font Screenshot Number Document Parallel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, here is an RFI email I received today. For those who also receive the RFI emails, may I ask is it the same as yours? And Are the BOLD context the REAL required files? It seems that this RFI email includes everything... and most files I have already submitted in my EOI. What exact files should I reply to this email? Your advice is appreciated.

View attachment 100469
Apparently, this is very positive news from DHA. I suggest you prepare whatever they have requested in a proper maner. You will be invited soon.

·
Registered
475 Posts
it never ceases to amaze me how folks can wait for months on end to receive an RFI, yet cannot be bothered to invest a day into reading this whole thread from the beginning - which answers every imaginable question from applicants and then some

·
Registered
66 Posts

View attachment 100469
wow wow wow, I'm so excited that finally you got some news from them. Does that mean they resume the process of EOIs in Oct 2020? Good luck, buddy!

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 100469
Hi there, I am wondering when did you submit your EOI? thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys: I am new to this forum and I have a question. I expressed my interested for GTI in July 2020 which got rejected citing the changed rules (based on the education qualification) from January 2021. In the rejection email, they have advised me to re-apply after I receive my PhD degree. I received my PhD degree in August this year and currently working as a postdoc. I submitted my EOI in August 2021 including all the necessary documents (Form 1000, employment contract, publications (7), awards and conferences). Currently, I am on a student (Subclass 500) visa which expires in Jan 2022, which means I need to get a temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) in the next couple of months. Can you please let me know your experience in this case, and if there is a way to expedite the process? I will sincerely appreciate your guidance here. Thank you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi there, I am wondering when did you submit your EOI? thx
mate it's right there in the 1st sentence of the screenshot 🤦‍♂️

Currently, I am on a student (Subclass 500) visa which expires in Jan 2022, which means I need to get a temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) in the next couple of months. Can you please let me know your experience in this case, and if there is a way to expedite the process? I will sincerely appreciate your guidance here. Thank you.
you mean is it possible to jump the queue simply on account of an expiring visa (which you knew about at the time of the application anyways)? yea naw 🙄

the only proven way to expedite the process so far has been to demonstrate >FWHIT salary period.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Forum People, Happy to share that I was granted visa today... follwing is my timeline:

EOI Submitted: March 29, 2021
Invitation received: August 4, 2021
Visa application submitted: August 13
S56 received: August 30
Medical done: Sept 3
responded to S56 ( with all te nenessary documents): Sept 22
Visa granted: Oct 14

Cheers and best of luck to everyone

·
Registered
4 Posts
mate it's right there in the 1st sentence of the screenshot 🤦‍♂️

you mean is it possible to jump the queue simply on account of an expiring visa (which you knew about at the time of the application anyways)? yea naw 🙄

the only proven way to expedite the process so far has been to demonstrate >FWHIT salary period.
Thanks, mate! I saw that, just would like to check if they have started to process the 2020 Nov cases.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Forum People, Happy to share that I was granted visa today... follwing is my timeline:

EOI Submitted: March 29, 2021
Invitation received: August 4, 2021
Visa application submitted: August 13
S56 received: August 30
Medical done: Sept 3
responded to S56 ( with all te nenessary documents): Sept 22
Visa granted: Oct 14

Cheers and best of luck to everyone
Congrats. My wife(offshore) also applied in March, but still waiting... I hope you don't mind sharing your profile in terms of publications, citations and others. Congrats once again

10881 - 10900 of 10932 Posts