Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from global eye investment requesting I meet with them for a coffee next week.

Any body have any experience with them?

Dont know how they got my number so always a bit suspicious of cold calls!

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are many companies in Dubai that are supposedly "financial advisors". They will cold call you and offer you all sorts of promises as far as products and services, but they will predominantly be interested in selling you a 25 year savings plan that will make them the most commission.

Dubai is an unregulated as far as financial services is concerned. So my advice is seek advice only from a QUALIFIED financial advisor, and not someone interested only in a sale that may benefit them more than you.

Elphaba on this site is fantastic, and will look after all your needs, without the worry you might have of being taken for a ride.

I'd recommend you get intouch with her, and she'll take care of you properly!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
There are many companies in Dubai that are supposedly "financial advisors". They will cold call you and offer you all sorts of promises as far as products and services, but they will predominantly be interested in selling you a 25 year savings plan that will make them the most commission.

Dubai is an unregulated as far as financial services is concerned. So my advice is seek advice only from a QUALIFIED financial advisor, and not someone interested only in a sale that may benefit them more than you.

Elphaba on this site is fantastic, and will look after all your needs, without the worry you might have of being taken for a ride.

I'd recommend you get intouch with her, and she'll take care of you properly!!!
If you have a float of cash that your happy to give to them to tie up for you for the next 10 - 20 years and are happy too part with it to some one with out suitable qualifications if any, then enjoy the coffee. These companies that employ young people on commision only basis need to be avoided like the plague.

I know a guy who recently came over here, 23 years old sports science degree couldnt get a job except an offer from GE tells you everything. Thankfully he ended up in event planning and not dealing with others hard earned cash.

If you want to invest then stick to the proffessional and trusty worthy companies with properly qualified FSA's, second Elphaba as she takes care of m UK pension and would highly recommend here.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Don't waste your time, I get cold called every day by some financial serves company (Hi, you've probably heard of us....) and they're always miffed when I tell them I'm absoltuely not interested in anything they have to say. They're all scum.

If you want to invest your money, do your research, ask for recommendations, and approach a company of your choosing.

Reputable companies do not, under any circumstances, cold call you to offer their services.

It's so bad these days, I just hang up if I hear a pause when I answer the phone as I know it's a call centre of some kind.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Don't waste your time, I get cold called every day by some financial serves company (Hi, you've probably heard of us....) and they're always miffed when I tell them I'm absoltuely not interested in anything they have to say. They're all scum.

If you want to invest your money, do your research, ask for recommendations, and approach a company of your choosing.

Reputable companies do not, under any circumstances, cold call you to offer their services.

It's so bad these days, I just hang up if I hear a pause when I answer the phone as I know it's a call centre of some kind.
I disagree.... some reputable companies do cold call people. I know in the States, Merrill Lynch did it as did Schwab. Those companies may have moved away from the practice, but when I worked for them (as a newbie), you had to cold call to build a decent book/portfolio.

I agree with the others, avoid Global Eye.... I get them calling me constantly and repeatedly have told them (and others) that I only invest my money through US-based companies.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Incidentally, they get your numbers because you fall for the "Win a bottle of Champagne" trick, you know the one, just put your business card in the goldfish bowl and you could win a bottle of champers. Guess what? You never win - no-one wins, just the "advisers"

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
I have them saved as "Do Not Answer" and they've called me twice already this morning. I'm really hoping they give up and will stop eventually!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Saved as 'Global Pest' in my phone.

The number I have got calls from is 044 043 700 in case anyone wants to save it too (to avoid their calls).

If anybody has another number from which they are making calls would be great if they can post it here so I can save it on my phone too :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, will just ignore their calls from now on. Instinct told me there was something not right with the call.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Incidentally, they get your numbers because you fall for the "Win a bottle of Champagne" trick, you know the one, just put your business card in the goldfish bowl and you could win a bottle of champers. Guess what? You never win - no-one wins, just the "advisers"
Actually, I don't know how they got my number as I don't do the business card in the bowl to win crap and I also don't do the SMS thing to radio stations, stores, or other promotions (yes, they get you like that as well now).

I think this guy was just cold calling as after my phone rang and I ignored him, my colleague's phone rang, and then another, and another... I think he knew the main number of our company and/or knew somebody and just went through the entire directory or just tried various combinations until someone answered... sneaky mofo.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
A lot of the time, local banks, Etisalat, DEWA, etc, will be selling them too.

I've started being extra rude to them now, why should I be polite when my privacy is being invaded in the hope that I'm stupid enough to let them take all my savings so they can buy more Jagerbombs at Barasti? I hope their next bowel movement is a hedgehog, each and every one of them.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
I got a call from some company the other day and when asked how they go my cell phone number, they told me that they got it from Du. So, like Gav's already mentioned, companies here are selling your information to all kinds of third parties. There are databases that you can buy off the market in CDs that contain thousands of numbers, email addresses, etc.

These guys at Global Eye have been calling me incessantly. I really hope they stop soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I worked in Private Banking for the last decade or so in the MENA and Asian subcontinent, so let me give you an unbiased look at what they can and cannot do

Globaleye primarily sells insurance and annuities (savings plans) . Beyond that, if you want bonds, mutual funds, stocks, I suggest you speak to a banker either in your home country or one of the biggies in town- Standard Chartered, Citibank, HSBC or Barclays. These banks usually have the manpower and resources to get the lowest prices and the widest selection on those products.

Globaleye is good for the following- If you want a savings plan in the U.K/Ireland for your kids education, mortgage assistance, and you plan to return home for retirement, they are fine for that. Ask lots of questions, and like you shop for cars- try and get quotes from other brokers in town as well who would be happy to try and earn your business.

If you have assets over $500K+ (AED 2M+), lots of properties worldwide, issues like wills/estate planning for blended families (step-children,alimony payments etc) investments from multiple tax jurisdictions, or want to live somewhere else after retirement, they are not the people you should be looking for, and its best if you speak to a professional lawyer or accountant.

As mentioned above, globaleye has very limited resources when compared to a bank who have traders, research analysts etc, so their portfolio overview over coffee is very basic and revolved around the products they sell. Again, take a second opinion before signing anything.

Their advice is usually best for U.K expats, and their India/Canada/Australia/Africa desk is weak or non-existent in most cases, so again, look for experts in your home country or the rep office in the U.A.E of that financial institution

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We must be lucky then

My husband and I have been with our man at Globaleye for 3 years and so far we are happy with service etc, yes our investments haven't grown by as much as we would have hoped but i think given what is happening with Europe we are doing pretty well. The Will advise was great. Happy to pass on my guy to anyone interested, he keeps asking me to anyway!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pls do not respond to any meeting request like this anyway.....since this is the way where these companies get you involved to shell out money.

Elsewise, you can go for coffee (if you like to give it a try)
and do not give any financial information about yourself...

best of luck!!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I worked in Private Banking for the last decade or so in the MENA and Asian subcontinent, so let me give you an unbiased look at what they can and cannot do

Globaleye primarily sells insurance and annuities (savings plans) . Beyond that, if you want bonds, mutual funds, stocks, I suggest you speak to a banker either in your home country or one of the biggies in town- Standard Chartered, Citibank, HSBC or Barclays. These banks usually have the manpower and resources to get the lowest prices and the widest selection on those products.

Globaleye is good for the following- If you want a savings plan in the U.K/Ireland for your kids education, mortgage assistance, and you plan to return home for retirement, they are fine for that. Ask lots of questions, and like you shop for cars- try and get quotes from other brokers in town as well who would be happy to try and earn your business.

If you have assets over $500K+ (AED 2M+), lots of properties worldwide, issues like wills/estate planning for blended families (step-children,alimony payments etc) investments from multiple tax jurisdictions, or want to live somewhere else after retirement, they are not the people you should be looking for, and its best if you speak to a professional lawyer or accountant.

As mentioned above, globaleye has very limited resources when compared to a bank who have traders, research analysts etc, so their portfolio overview over coffee is very basic and revolved around the products they sell. Again, take a second opinion before signing anything.

Their advice is usually best for U.K expats, and their India/Canada/Australia/Africa desk is weak or non-existent in most cases, so again, look for experts in your home country or the rep office in the U.A.E of that financial institution

Hope this helps!!

Frankly I'd suggest that they aren't good for anything much. There are good (ethical, experienced and qualified) Independent Financial Advisers who will give you proper advice, rather than selling plans.

Avoid the banks for proper planning as they have only a very limited product range and the best people do not work there.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Pls do not respond to any meeting request like this anyway.....since this is the way where these companies get you involved to shell out money.

Elsewise, you can go for coffee (if you like to give it a try)
and do not give any financial information about yourself...

best of luck!!

A good adviser does not bombard people with unwanted calls. Avoid anyone who cold calls you in this way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why does everyone have to be so offensive on these forums?

As I'm aware, Globaleye, as an Global entity, gains information through numerous sources, with its main source from existing clients.

I do believe Globaleye has one of the better reputation and in terms of qualifications etc, Globaleye has various offices located in highly regulated areas, UK, Geneva, Singapore & Malaysia. With other countries pushing forward on the regulation accelerators I have been told Globaleye are raising standards throughout the whole organisation.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts