Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a random wondering. Why are glass tables (coffee, dining, outside etc etc) so popular? There must be benefits that I'm missing. I hate the clatter when putting hard items down, the way things slide on the surface, the fingerprints and, frequently, the lethal corners that leave horrible bruises or even cuts on my legs. Yet most of the houses I'm looking at on my rental hunt have loads of glass furniture. I'm open to persuasion as to their benefits and don't want to diss anyones preferences for glass. :) Admittedly outside they look better than sun bleached and degraded plastic but according to recent articles cheap glass can explode in heat! So - why?

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Just a random wondering. Why are glass tables (coffee, dining, outside etc etc) so popular? There must be benefits that I'm missing. I hate the clatter when putting hard items down, the way things slide on the surface, the fingerprints and, frequently, the lethal corners that leave horrible bruises or even cuts on my legs. Yet most of the houses I'm looking at on my rental hunt have loads of glass furniture. I'm open to persuasion as to their benefits and don't want to diss anyones preferences for glass. :) Admittedly outside they look better than sun bleached and degraded plastic but according to recent articles cheap glass can explode in heat! So - why?
I don't know why they're so popular, but I do agree with you. The apartment we've just bought came with all the furniture including a set of glass-topped occasional tables, a large dining table with a protective glass top, a centre table with a protective glass top, a large glass-fronted display cabinet with glass shelves, and a wooden kitchen table with a protective glass top. It also makes things like tables so much heavier and more difficult to move when cleaning. All of it had to go, pronto.

I think traditionally the Spanish people don't thow out their old furniture and buy new from time to time, so they like what they buy to last and therefore cover everything with sheets of glass to protect it. I suppose they do look better than wooden tables with water marks on them. Between that and the tiled floors which are lethal to glasses or other things being dropped on them, Spanish properties are a health and safety nightmare!

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Because they are easy to clean I suppose. I hate them.

We have a nice large wooden coffee table, which came with the house. It used to have a glass panel inset, but I managed to break it. So I replaced it with cork, gave it a coat of varnish and it looks great. Appropriate too, since we live on the edge of a cork-oak forest.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I believe that the belief in "interior decoration" circles is that glass tables visually appear to take up less space.

We have a large glass topped coffee table, but I admit that I would not buy another. I would just buy a smaller coffee table!!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Personally I hate glass topped coffee tables because - particularly for those of us who wear glasses. They are the bane of my life,
as I'm forever walking into the side of them !!
Therefore I dub them a health & safety hazzard for those of us who wear specs.

:mad:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hola

I think the clue is in the words "a protective glass top"; whilst not indestructible they are hard to change the look of whereas other surfaces may contain marks that are not easy to disguise. I had the misfortune to buy a black glass corner table - it showed every mark and speck of dust so I bought some self-adhesive fablon and covered it.

Davexf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts