Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have never been the outdoorsy type and have no intention to start now...

that being said, i have a buddy and his family scheduled to pop over from canada for a couple of weeks, and he is quite keen to do an over night / two night camping desert thing...

i have heard of glamping which sounds more like something i could tolerate, so i was wondering if there were any experiences/recommendations and estimates for cost?

someplace where you get the outdoorsy experience but more luxury than the overnight desert safari... a requirement is the place has booze or lets you bring your own...

could not care less about the dune bashing or henna or falconry... basically an outdoor bonfire with a waiter, food, drink, air conditioning in the sleeping quarters, and a proper toilet/shower - no port-a-potty... the bonfire being optional...

·
Registered
880 Posts
So we did a 'glamping' trip last year to Mussandam. Basically we rented motor homes. They can set them up pretty much anywhere along the coast. They even setup a majlis style tent for us which was amazing!

We asked them to set it up where we used to go camping right on the beach and the experience was brilliant. They came by several times (without us evening noticing them) to check if there was enough water in the tank and enough gas in the generator.

Basically we were right on the beach with water and electricity. Took a shower after going into the water. Made fire and did the marshmallow thing. However, alcohol is an issue. I have heard of some people taking beers with them but I would not recommend transporting alcohol across the border.

Cost was a tad high - 500 aed/trailer/night. You can negotiate with the guy though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks... sounds like fun, maybe will do this later sometime without the visitors... with the limited time they have, i think something uae based would probably be a more effective... also, you are right, carrying booze into oman is not a good idea...

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,028 Posts
Hi,
For us, the ultimate glamping was at Banyan Al Wadi desert resort in RAK.
This has now been taken over by Ritz Carlton.
They have amazing tented villas with their own private pools.
The resort is nice and remote with plenty of things to do - cycling, star gazing, BBQ, nighttime desert walk, archery, falconry etc.
UAE Villas & Suites in Ras Al Khaimah | Al Wadi Desert, Ras Al Khaimah

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
banyan al wadi it is then... thanks all

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
And if you call at Al Hamra A and E on the E11, turn left at the roundabout end of E 311, around 3 miles on rhs you can stock on your booze too (No tax)

Marvellous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts