Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Just want to know what are the goods and bad of giving up my British citizenship?
I’m a Portuguese citizen who has been in uk for last 15 years I also hold British passport. But now I want to give it up. as i hold portuguese passport
So do you think it’s a good idea?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
I don't recall there being any incentive (or mechanism?) to do this - unlike dual nationality citizens who renounce their U.S. Citizenship for tax purposes - to avoid being taxed on worldwide income.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
If UK leaves EU, you may then need a visa to stay in UK, unless you have obtained permanent residence after 5 years as Portuguese citizen.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If UK leaves EU, you may then need a visa to stay in UK, unless you have obtained permanent residence after 5 years as Portuguese citizen.
That what i was worried about. but i have been here 15 years now and i only had my british passport for 5 yares. and how can i apply for residence after giving up my brit passport?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Just apply for confirmation of permanent residence on form EEA(PR). Costs £65.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi all
Just want to know what are the goods and bad of giving up my British citizenship?
I’m a Portuguese citizen who has been in uk for last 15 years I also hold British passport. But now I want to give it up. as i hold portuguese passport
So do you think it’s a good idea?
Does Portugal recognize dual nationality?

There are countries that don't I am just wondering.

I know it is none of my business, but I'm curious about why would you want to renounce British citizenship which opens different doors as those open by a Portuguese passport, unless you want to run for Portuguese PM or something like that I don't see the harm on keeping both nationalities.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Other than the cost of renewing your British passport every 10 or so years, I don't really see the point of giving up your British nationality. In fact, 20 years ago or so I heard several really funny stories of folks who "turned in their passports" on taking, say German nationality, and six months later the Consulate sent them back their passports saying, "this turned up and we thought you might be missing it."

The rules may have changed since then, but the UK has always been kind of laid back about the once-a-Brit-forever-a-Brit policy.

I'm told it's really difficult to surrender your UK nationality. And hey, if you don't want to pay all that money to renew your passport every 10 years, I don't think you actually need to do that, either. (Check the rules, but generally you can renew a passport up to several years after the old one has expired.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Super Moderator
1,863 Posts
Does Portugal recognize dual nationality?

There are countries that don't I am just wondering.

I know it is none of my business, but I'm curious about why would you want to renounce British citizenship which opens different doors as those open by a Portuguese passport, unless you want to run for Portuguese PM or something like that I don't see the harm on keeping both nationalities.
Most EU countries accept dual nationality with other EU/EEA nationalities even if they don't allow dual nationality with non-EEA nationalities.

I think the OP might be considering using the Surinder Singh route which would be closed to him as a UK national unless he moves to yet another EU country and exercises his treaty rights there.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I think the OP might be considering using the Surinder Singh route which would be closed to him as a UK national unless he moves to yet another EU country and exercises his treaty rights there.
I'd have thought meeting the financial requirement of being in a job that pays £18,600/year for 6 months is a lot simpler and has no long-term implication unlike renouncing one's nationality.

·
Super Moderator
1,863 Posts
I'd have thought meeting the financial requirement of being in a job that pays £18,600/year for 6 months is a lot simpler and has no long-term implication unlike renouncing one's nationality.
I'd think so, too.

Nevertheless, I've seen a few people do it or at least talk about considering renouncing British nationality for this purpose.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I think it's a precipitous move. True, you are allowed to regain British nationality after renouncing, once only. But with all the uncertainties surrounding Britain's future in EU, even if you manage to bring someone to UK under Surinder Singh, their continuing presence may not be guaranteed and can be fraught with danger.

·
Registered
924 Posts
With all the time and expense I'm willing to invest to obtain UK citizenship so I can have dual options, I can't understand why someone would want to give it up either!! UK citizens are fortunate in that they aren't obligated for taxes forever no matter where they live, like US citizens are. Once I have both, I will give serious consideration to giving up US citizenship (or slavery, depending on your political views :p ).

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all
The only reason I got the British passport as I wanted to go to Australia on a working holiday visa which I could not get on Portuguese passport.
Now I no longer need the British passport so want to give it up.
Can someone please tell me the process?
Thank you

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Hi all
The only reason I got the British passport as I wanted to go to Australia on a working holiday visa which I could not get on Portuguese passport.
Now I no longer need the British passport so want to give it up.
Can someone please tell me the process?
Thank you
Google "Giving up British citizenship" - that should come up with the process

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Gone up on 6th April 2015! So you pay the new fee of £223.
Once you have completed and signed the application form and enclosed the documents, you must arrange to pay the correct fee. If you are paying by debit/credit card you should complete the payment slip attached to the fee leaflet. If you are paying by cheque you should ensure that funds are available in your account. Only cheques issued in sterling and drawn from a bank which has a UK based presence will be accepted. Those applying from overseas who wish to pay by cheque should therefore ensure that the issuing bank has a branch in the UK where the cheque can be cashed. Cash, transcash or postal orders are not accepted.
If your fee is paid through an account which belongs to someone else, please give their details in the space provided on the payment slip attached to the fee leaflet in case it is necessary to refund all or part of the fee.
Form RN Guidance

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.