Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

sorry if this is has been discussed before, i was looking through threads and couldnt quite find the answers i am looking for.

I am looking to give birth here in paris.
my first child was born in New york with a very natural, helpful sweet group of midwives (in a hospital). They were extremely supportive, open, listening and encouraging of the easiest most natural birth - and with all that i even took a doula!

From the people i have spoken to, generally french doctors are DOCTORS and are not there to be your coach. the majority dont even come to the birth! you just get whichever doctor is on hand and ya gotta do what they tell you to do.

Also, ive heard the the hospitals (at least the few around us) have an 'old fashioned' view.. you must stay in bed throughout labor and delivery.. they dont ask or tell you whats happening etc.
All this info makes me petrified!

My first birth ended up in big complications and due to competent doctors who i trusted.. they saved my baby!

So for my questions:

1. I am looking for a ob/gyn (preferably female) + hospital in or around paris (Northern) who fits this description. Open, willing to listen, modern ideals, NATURAL, will coach you through labor and birth and work with you!
noone in my area has found anyone like that yet...
also - i need someone who will work with me for a VBAC....

2. Whats with the american hospital in Neuilly? do they take securite social? CMU? Mutuelle? what are the costs with those options? i am having a hard time understanding...
and do they have a 'natural' approach to birth and labor?

What about the british hospital in levallois?
Cost? Approach?

Maybe theres even a french hospital with that approach??

3. do doulas even exist here??

All and any info would be appreciated
THANK YOU!

(ive been on the sites of both hospitals but i'd like to hear from ppl whove been there done that)

·
Administrator
49,870 Posts
First of all, you definitely want to look into joining the Message group in Paris. This is an anglophone group of parents (mostly mothers) who help each other out and can give you very good advice on all these issues. Welcome to Message Paris Everyone I know who has joined the group raves about their concern and expertise, and I know one of the "regional contact" people, who is simply marvelous.

So for my questions:

1. I am looking for a ob/gyn (preferably female) + hospital in or around paris (Northern) who fits this description. Open, willing to listen, modern ideals, NATURAL, will coach you through labor and birth and work with you!
noone in my area has found anyone like that yet...
also - i need someone who will work with me for a VBAC....
Talk to the Message people. They'll know if what you're looking for is available.

2. Whats with the american hospital in Neuilly? do they take securite social? CMU? Mutuelle? what are the costs with those options? i am having a hard time understanding...
and do they have a 'natural' approach to birth and labor?

What about the british hospital in levallois?
Cost? Approach?

Maybe theres even a french hospital with that approach??
The American Hospital is a private hospital that charges its own rates and doesn't have a single "policy" - it's up to the doctor you have there. They are considered non-agréé as far as the sécu goes. Normally this means that your reimbursement is lower than if you went to an agréé hospital, and it depends on your mutuelle how much of the excess they will reimburse. Most private health insurance plans ask you to get pre-approval before going to the American Hospital - in part because private expat plans generally have a rate "deal" with them. Pretty much the same holds true for Hereford British Hospital in Levallois. It's also a private hospital and "non-agréé" for sécu purposes.

3. do doulas even exist here??
Message would know this.

Oh, and by the way, Message can put you in touch with plenty of folks who have (or haven't) had their babies at the American Hospital, Hereford or anywhere else. The lady I know at Message has had each of her 3 kids in a different country (one in the UK, one in the US and one here in France) and can give you great comparisons of the three experiences.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
661 Posts
You can look at Maternité des bluets where they are known for their human birth approach. [ www.bluets.org ]
I need to look into my notes and I will PM you the contact details for a midwife who coordinates home birth. I know that this is not what you are asking for, but she will probably be able to channel you towards natural places.
Giving birth in Paris can be a very medicalized experience. I hope you will manage to find the right place for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.