Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are still in the process of trying to buy a farm, we've found one we like and are close to making an offer, so are hoping we can pull it all off.

If we come over my nephew wants to come with us to help out for a minimum of a year. He has said he doesnt want much pay - mainly pocket money and board and lodging.

Before I get told off, I am not trying to dodge paying tax, I would just like to know that if we pay him say 180 euros a week, above board and he pays tax, will he be restricted on the amount of hours he can work? We dont intend to kill him off with hard work but farming is one of those jobs that there's always something to be done. Especially getting a system in place and the house sorted too.

So if French law states so much an hour and we have to stick to that then fine or would living expenses be taken into account, or as he is family would it be looked apon differently? Can you work some hours for free in this sense?

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
AFAIK, you'd have to take him on as a proper employee, which means minimum wage at least and "cotisations" taken from both you as employer and him as employee. You can make deductions for board and lodging, and he would then declare those as part of his income. There might be a possibility for you to employ him under the URSSAF cheques emploi scheme, and there are some schemes where, if you establish a business entity, you can kind of sponsor a youngster and get state help for associated costs - but I don't know much (anything) about how that works - the Pole Emploi should be able to give guidance.

As a family member, I wouldn't declare him at all, and pay him pocket money, but that will take him out of any eligibility for health cover etc., unless you can declare him as a dependant, which would probably require a court order.

's not straightforward, but to take the wrong approach could incur trouble further down the line; enquire at the Pole Emploi, CAF, Secu, and the Hotel des Impots.

Not easy, but good that you're enquiring now rather than just assuming.

hils

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.