Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is Girrawheen for initial stay?

Is it too far from Perth City center? Would travelling from this to Perth city center would be a hassle as I need to go for job hunting?

I am getting an accommodation in 500 pw in this area. Does anyone know if its fair for a private room with small kitchen (like hot plate and microwave) and attached bathroom?

I am looking for a budget place to stay close to city center. It would be great if someone can suggest for suburbs where I should look for.

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Girrawheen is 15-20 minutes drive to Perth city. It's fine if you have a car but too far if relying on public transport when job hunting.

As an area I wouldn't rate girrawheen very highly. While it may be fine for a male on his own while getting 'set up' in WA it is definitely not somewhere I would bring a family to stay. These are only my opinions, feel free to disregard them but they are based on my experiences working in the area for a short period.

I think 500 pw is FAR too much! A typical three bedroom house, 2 bathroom, 2 car garage in Girrawheen would cost 350pw rent. I realise you can't just walk into rented accommodation and so will expect to pay a bit more but no I definitely think you could do better. 500 is too much for staying here temporarily, plus factor in your public transport costs.

Perhaps share some of your necessities etc in what you are looking for in temporary accommodation and we'll be able to help you further. Would you consider hostel accommodation until you find a house? Also will you be looking for work in the city or in suburbs?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Girrawheen is 15-20 minutes drive to Perth city. It's fine if you have a car but too far if relying on public transport when job hunting.

As an area I wouldn't rate girrawheen very highly. While it may be fine for a male on his own while getting 'set up' in WA it is definitely not somewhere I would bring a family to stay. These are only my opinions, feel free to disregard them but they are based on my experiences working in the area for a short period.

I think 500 pw is FAR too much! A typical three bedroom house, 2 bathroom, 2 car garage in Girrawheen would cost 350pw rent. I realise you can't just walk into rented accommodation and so will expect to pay a bit more but no I definitely think you could do better. 500 is too much for staying here temporarily, plus factor in your public transport costs.

Perhaps share some of your necessities etc in what you are looking for in temporary accommodation and we'll be able to help you further. Would you consider hostel accommodation until you find a house? Also will you be looking for work in the city or in suburbs?
I want an accommodation for myself, my wife and 2 years old son.

I will try to find work everywhere be it city or suburbs :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok hostel accommodation is ruled out then if you have a wife and child with you.

Just from personal point of view I don't feel I would have settled as well in Perth if girrawheen was the first place i stayed in while my husband was out all day (working or jobhunting), however it may just be one of those things that has to be done for a few weeks. Perhaps your wife could be busy house hunting while you are job hunting.

Other people may have suggestions as to where they stayed upon initial arrival. I can't help here as we had friends we stayed with, but luckily we found a house and were moved in 7 days after landing in Perth so even if you do have to stay it's not the end of the world. Look up reiwa.com.au and realestate.com.au but they generally don't even answer you if you're not in Perth when enquiring, better to start when you land.

One last option. Did you get your visa through an agent? I know some agents have houses/ apartments they let out short term to their clients upon arrival.

If you find another place, let us know the area and we can comment on distance etc, to start listing possible suburbs that would be suitable would take far too long.

·
Registered
200 Posts
IrishAussie said:
Ok hostel accommodation is ruled out then if you have a wife and child with you.

Just from personal point of view I don't feel I would have settled as well in Perth if girrawheen was the first place i stayed in while my husband was out all day (working or jobhunting), however it may just be one of those things that has to be done for a few weeks. Perhaps your wife could be busy house hunting while you are job hunting.

Other people may have suggestions as to where they stayed upon initial arrival. I can't help here as we had friends we stayed with, but luckily we found a house and were moved in 7 days after landing in Perth so even if you do have to stay it's not the end of the world. Look up reiwa.com.au and realestate.com.au but they generally don't even answer you if you're not in Perth when enquiring, better to start when you land.

One last option. Did you get your visa through an agent? I know some agents have houses/ apartments they let out short term to their clients upon arrival.

If you find another place, let us know the area and we can comment on distance etc, to start listing possible suburbs that would be suitable would take far too long.
Hi

We are in the process of applying for PR and we will be moving to Perth as well. I have been looking at serviced apartments and like and find it very expensive. Would 10 days be enough to find rental accommodation? Our plan is to book in a serviced apartment for 15 days and look for rental accommodation

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honestly I don't think you would be giving yourself enough time with 10 days, you would be under pressure to take any old house.

Although having said that I found a house within a week of moving to Perth. A few things that helped speed up my house search.

1) I wasn't too fussy about where to live, I had about 6 or 7 suburbs that I was willing to live in which widened the search and gave me more houses to choose from. I am currently house hunting again (no panic this time) but I only want to live in one area and I am being very specific about some aspects of the house- as a result I have been looking since mid December. So it really depends on how flexible you are.

2) I also had all my documents ready to submit, if you are missing documents when you submit an application they will move on to the next applicant. I had bank statements, reference from previous landlord (or mortgage statements of a home owner in your country) and a job contract from my husband, which I think clinched the deal for us.

·
Registered
200 Posts
IrishAussie said:
Honestly I don't think you would be giving yourself enough time with 10 days, you would be under pressure to take any old house.

Although having said that I found a house within a week of moving to Perth. A few things that helped speed up my house search.

1) I wasn't too fussy about where to live, I had about 6 or 7 suburbs that I was willing to live in which widened the search and gave me more houses to choose from. I am currently house hunting again (no panic this time) but I only want to live in one area and I am being very specific about some aspects of the house- as a result I have been looking since mid December. So it really depends on how flexible you are.

2) I also had all my documents ready to submit, if you are missing documents when you submit an application they will move on to the next applicant. I had bank statements, reference from previous landlord (or mortgage statements of a home owner in your country) and a job contract from my husband, which I think clinched the deal for us.
Hey thanks for the insight!

I am going to be living on my own for some time before my wife joins me. So am looking for a one bedroom apartment. Are there any areas that we should avoid. Right we are looking at areas close to CBD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.