Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to have some stitches removed following a surgery I had in England. I am back in Spain now (Valencia) and was wondering if anyone could advise me on where I could go to have someone take these stitches out.
Is it something I'd need to go to the hospital for?
Thanks!

·
Registered
19,373 Posts
According to most posters on here you are breaking the law as you should have registered after 90 days.
Uhhhmm, It's not really so much according to most posters, it's what Spain has decided, so it's the law.

However, it was also noted by many that a good few foreigners don't register whether we, or the Spanish authorities, like it or not:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood the question. I am registered on the empadronamiento and have an NIE, Social Security, etc., I just don't have a residency permit as such. I was told nothing more was necessary.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hi Op,

Xabiachica's right, this is a job for the local Centro de Salud. With an EHIC card it'll be free, but without one you might get the standard 195 ish Euro fee.

I'm not sure.

I almost lopped a finger off in the process of some rustling-up in the kitchen. I didn't have an EHIC so had to pay 195 Euros. There were two subsequent appointments, one a couple of days later for redressing and the final one about a couple of weeks later for the stitches out. The two subsequent appointments only cost 15 Euros each but I'm not sure if you can pay only that amount, it might be a rule you pay the full fee for any kind of treatment first.

If I were you I'd go to the Centro and ask, and try to get the 15E rate! They may just get them out for you. Spanish may help a discussion of this kind so take a friend along if you don't speak it.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood the question. I am registered on the empadronamiento and have an NIE, Social Security, etc., I just don't have a residency permit as such. I was told nothing more was necessary.
It isn't a question of a residency permit, you are required to register on the foreigners' register within 90 days. If you are here over 90 days then Spain considers you ARE a resident and therefore requires you to register. You should not be empadronado unless you are on the foreigners' register. Your EHIC is not valid if you live here.

You say you have "Social Security" - please explain what you mean. If you have a Tarjeta Sanitaria then you are registered with the Spanish health service and can go to your local health centre for the stitches to be removed.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Bet the OP wishes he/She'd never asked!
Hola

I was thinking that - it is not illegal to be in Spain for four months a year - is it really necessary to know the ins & outs of minute details to answer an unrelated problem? I think people should take the chill pill and unless people ask about how long they can stay legally, assume they will stay within the rules

Davexf

·
Administrator
36,397 Posts
It's hardly an emergency!
it doesn't have to be an emergency

the EHIC covers essential treatment

that would include the removal of stitches - & even a sore throat if you felt you needed to see a doctor, for instance if there might be an infection

any medication would be at full price though, even with a state prescription

·
Administrator
36,397 Posts
ahh - so you actually live in Spain

I thought you meant that you spent 4 months a year here - I misunderstood

if you're living here (regardless of whether or not you have registered as resident) you can't use your EHIC, since that's for holidaymakers

if you have a SS number etc, you should register for state healthcare if you can - otherwise you'll have to use a private clinic

are you working here?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hola

I was thinking that - it is not illegal to be in Spain for four months a year - is it really necessary to know the ins & outs of minute details to answer an unrelated problem? I think people should take the chill pill and unless people ask about how long they can stay legally, assume they will stay within the rules

Davexf
To answer the OP's question we do need to know if s/he is a UK resident on holiday in Spain or a Spanish resident with access to Spanish healthcare.

Sounds like they are UK resident - if having a procedure done in the UK and only living in Valencia for a few months of the year.

If it was me then a pair of sharp scissors and tweezers would do as long as I could get to the stitches!

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
ahh - so you actually live in Spain

I thought you meant that you spent 4 months a year here - I misunderstood

if you're living here (regardless of whether or not you have registered as resident) you can't use your EHIC, since that's for holidaymakers

if you have a SS number etc, you should register for state healthcare if you can - otherwise you'll have to use a private clinic

are you working here?
Hmmm. If they do live in Spain, then how did they have the operation in UK?

I think we need to know a lot more - are you a pensioner, where do you spend most of your time etc.

Your best option, though, is to pay a private clinic to have them taken out then there can be no suggestion of fraud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To clarify: I am from England but moved to Spain permanently four months ago. I returned to England to get the surgery done as there was nowhere here that could do it. I am not a pensioner, I am working full time and paying social security.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts