Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I joined ExpatForum a couple of days ago and have been reading quite a lot of the threads to get an idea how the process works.

My husband and I got married almost two weeks ago in Honduras, and now he's back in England and we are just getting started in getting all the documents ready for my application. I have to say I feel a little overwhelmed and panic from time to time... I cannot imagine what my life would be like if we screwed up in my application and it got refused...

We met online over 10 years ago and dated on and off until about 5 years ago when we got serious about it. We finally met face to face in 2010 when he visited me for the first time in July, then I spent Christmas and received 2011 with him and his family. He proposed to me while I was there :) Then he visited again in July and we had a silly engagement dinner with my parents and siblings... and we got married on March 31st in a small ceremony and an awesome reception to which his parents and brother attended :D

Yesterday I paid for my TOEFL test, that will take place on May 5th, and I'm still waiting for our marriage certificate to be ready (it takes about a month) but at the moment that's all I've got. What I'm most concerned about is the maintenance bit... He makes about £15,000 a year and starting May he will be receiving a lower wage because he will go from a night shift to a day shift in the petrol station where he works because they will be closing the night shift.

We will be living with his parents while I get a job and we can manage to move out, so we won't have any housing expenses for a while. When it comes to my savings at the moment I don't have any, mainly because of the wedding expenses, but now that it's all over I will be able to save most of my wage, except for whatever I need to spend on the paper work and my trip to either Panama or Colombia for the biometric data collection, and by the time I leave I will also receive what I've earned by law at my job.

Could you give me any ideas of what I need to collect from both my side and his? I've read quite a lot but I get so worried about getting the wrong things...
For example... Would I still need a letter from my employer if I won't be working with them anymore, even though they have stated that they will try to help me out finding a new position in the UK offices?
Would my husband's income be enough for them to approve my application?
I have been planning on reopen my Etsy Store (I used to sell handcrafted jewelry, knitted goods and other crafts) as a way to get some income while I can get a full time job there, if I can get it up and running, could I include that as part of my income?
Do I have to get everything translated to English and apostilled? Could I translate it myself? Do this translations need to be notarised?

I have millions of questions, I want to make everything right and not take any chances... I miss my husband so very much and I really don't want to be apart from him for too long...
I'm sorry for the LONG post... I'd be so very grateful if you could reply to my questions... Thank you for taking the time to read it. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Your husband needs to show that he can support you through a combination of wages and savings. Any savings you have could be added to this, but it's more important that he be able to show that he can support you. At the moment that means he has to have about £111/week after paying rent or mortgage and council tax. But, be aware that rules are expected to change in the next few months and there could be a much higher required salary. He'll need to provide you with 3-6 months of pay slips and bank statements. Bank statements must be originals.

If you are going to be living with his parents, you will need a letter from them stating that it's ok. You'll need a description of the house as far as how many rooms to prove that t won't be over crowded.

I'm pretty sure that translations have to be official.

If you have a firm offer of a job that will be helpful.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick reply Nyclon! :)
My in-laws are more than happy to let me stay there and have even agreed to co-sponsor if it would help us out :) Would that be enough? My mother in law works for the local government and my father in law is self employed.
I don-t have a firm job offer, just the will of my boss to help me out, giving me a recomendation letter and talking to people over there to see what can be done.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
My in-laws are more than happy to let me stay there and have even agreed to co-sponsor if it would help us out :) Would that be enough? My mother in law works for the local government and my father in law is self employed.
I don-t have a firm job offer, just the will of my boss to help me out, giving me a recomendation letter and talking to people over there to see what can be done.
If you feel your husband is going to have trouble meeting the maintenance requirement, then yes your in-laws can co-sponsor. (Although, again rules expected to change in the near future, but for now co-sponsorship is allowed.) They will have to supply pay slips and bank statements as well and they should also be made aware that they will be making a legally binding commitment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just don't want to take our chances.
Would my mother in lawa have to supply bank statements? Or could it be enough with her payslips?

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
We just don't want to take our chances.
Would my mother in lawa have to supply bank statements? Or could it be enough with her payslips?
She would need to supply original bank statements for at least 3 months. This helps to determine that there is money actually available. While pay slips show that she has a job and makes money, they don't show where the money goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Amaquima, your story is similar to mine. Ive used this website many times to check for reviews, I found it so useful.
Im under the process of the application right now, just booked the appointment for the interview and biometric data info.
I know what you fell tight now, Its normal. My head is been so busy during the past months searching for information and wondering if the documents ill add to my application are OK.
The key is to take as much information/documents you can provide, I found this list of documents you can use to support your application :

Table of Contents
I. Sponsor Information
A. Sponsor’s Letter of Introduction
B. Notarized Copy of Passport Bio Page
C. Originals of Birth Certificate (short and long form)
D. Financial Info (in sealed envelope)
1. Bank statements
2. P60
3. Payslips
E. Evidence of Accommodations
1. Letter from XXX verifying accommodations agreement
2. JXXX’s deeds to home
F. Employment Information
1. Letter of Employment from XYZ Co
2. Employment Contract from XYZ Co

II. Applicant Information
A. Applicant’s Letter of Introduction
B. Passport and two color passport-sized photos
C. Original Birth Certificate
D. Biometrics Confirmation
E. Work History/Evidence of Employability
1. Resume
2. Most recent job contract
3. Letters of recommendation from former/current employers
F. Financial History (in sealed envelope)
1. Bank statements
2. 2010 Tax Forms (State and Federal)
3. Bank Letter / Verification of Deposits
G. Proposed flight itinerary to settle in England in July 2011

III. Applicant-Sponsor Relationship
A. Marriage
1. Original and Certified Copy of Marriage License
2. Wedding photos
3. Wedding invitations, save the date, cards from family, etc.

B. Intervening Devotion
1. Flight confirmations from visits
2. Skype Video-Call log
3. Gmail e-mail log
4. Facebook messages Log
5. Handwritten letters and postcards
6. Photos from visits spent together

Im my case i dont have msn call log, I didnt kept that info, but instead ill add printed emails we interchange during our relationship.

Im Peruvian and my Hubby is a British citizen. Our closer friends introduced us in 2007. We got married in Las Vegas last year and couldn't start with our application because we didn't know about the English test (language) We had to wait about 4 months to get the certificate, even thought I speak english very well.
The Visa process takes up to 3 months to be issued. We have a British embassy here in Peru, but my documents will be sent to Brazil.

Suerte, trata de manejarlo todo con tranquilidad, un abrazo :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to introduce myself, I'm Amaquima's husband. She said I should join, so that any questions I have I could have answered.

Thank you to everyone for helping out, your help is invaluable!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you P&M2104!
I had already found that list and saved it to use it as a template because it seems to cover everything! :) Good luck with your application, I wish you the very best!!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.