Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been married to a Frenchman for almost five years now. We have lived the whole time in the U.S. I already have a famille de Livre which we did back in 07 when we got married. He wanted our marriage to be recognized by the French government.

April 26th is five years. I'm ready to get the ball rolling ASAP. So, outside of having to know a working knowledge of French, what is the first line of business that I need to do to start the process?

Also, how do I prove that I am integrated into the culture? Other than traveling there twice a year, having a crush on Vincent Cassel and my favorite singers being French... what else can I do? LOL. :D

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
53,151 Posts
To get the ball rolling, you're probably going to have to contact your local French consulate. I believe they are the ones who "do the honors" for those outside of France.

You'll need to get from the consulate a list of the documents they will require. In your case, I suspect they'll want evidence that hubby has maintained his registration with the consulate all this time. He'll need his current carte d'identité. And you'll need evidence that you are (and have been) maintaining a common household these last five years. Stuff like joint bank accounts, bills issued in joint name, your rental agreement (in joint name) or house and mortgage paperwork (doesn't have to be in joint name, but probably better if it is).

The assimilation part is probably the trickiest - it would be good if you could honestly say that you and your French husband speak "mostly" French at home, though maintaining that in the US is a stretch at best. Are you a member and/or active in any French clubs or associations in the area? Subscribe to any French magazines or newspapers (or just follow any French websites)?

Service Public has some information - check the headings on the right under Nationalité française par mariage. Acquisition de la nationalité française - Service-public.fr

Expect the process to take up to a year.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To get the ball rolling, you're probably going to have to contact your local French consulate. I believe they are the ones who "do the honors" for those outside of France.

You'll need to get from the consulate a list of the documents they will require. In your case, I suspect they'll want evidence that hubby has maintained his registration with the consulate all this time. He'll need his current carte d'identité. And you'll need evidence that you are (and have been) maintaining a common household these last five years. Stuff like joint bank accounts, bills issued in joint name, your rental agreement (in joint name) or house and mortgage paperwork (doesn't have to be in joint name, but probably better if it is).

The assimilation part is probably the trickiest - it would be good if you could honestly say that you and your French husband speak "mostly" French at home, though maintaining that in the US is a stretch at best. Are you a member and/or active in any French clubs or associations in the area? Subscribe to any French magazines or newspapers (or just follow any French websites)?

Service Public has some information - check the headings on the right under Nationalité française par mariage. Acquisition de la nationalité française - Service-public.fr

Expect the process to take up to a year.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev.... We have the French package on our satellite so I watch France 24 all the time.... plus TV5Monde. I will be joining our local Francais Alliance. I guess if I talk up some of my favorite singers too. I'm a big fan of Gerald De Palmas.... I know most of his songs by heart IN FRENCH. I'd be more than willing to sing them a song! :clap2: Hopefully they won't reject my citizenship on my voice alone:madgrin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.