Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, i signed a 6 month lease and paid the first month and a security deposit this was less than 2 weeks ago and now i would like to leave the place because things are not working out for me here and im miserable here. I would either like to find a new place or go back to the states im sure i can kiss my deposit good bye but at this point i just want to leave in an amicable way and without breaking any laws in mexico but if i have to leave to the states because they wont let me out of my lease then i will but i dont want to be here. Please any advice on what course of action should i take i would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Also can they take legal action if im in the states? i would rather it not come to that and i hope i can solve this situation in a positive manner. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Hello all, i signed a 6 month lease and paid the first month and a security deposit this was less than 2 weeks ago and now i would like to leave the place because things are not working out for me here and im miserable here. I would either like to find a new place or go back to the states im sure i can kiss my deposit good bye but at this point i just want to leave in an amicable way and without breaking any laws in mexico but if i have to leave to the states because they wont let me out of my lease then i will but i dont want to be here. Please any advice on what course of action should i take i would really appreciate it. Thank you. Also can they take legal action if im in the states? i would rather it not come to that and i hope i can solve this situation in a positive manner. Thanks again.
It depends on the contract you signed
In general, you will loose your deposit due to contract breach, that will be all

Again, it depends on the contract you signed, if you did signed one

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Cut your losses and leave, I don't know if the broad daylight shooting of the lifeguard has anything to do with it but it seems to be getting much more violent there.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on the contract you signed
In general, you will loose your deposit due to contract breach, that will be all

Again, it depends on the contract you signed, if you did signed one
thanks, yes i did sign a contract i just dont want to leave and then receive some mail back home that im being sued or if i return to mexico to be stopped at the border with some sort of warrant for my arrest because of the breach of contract.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cut your losses and leave, I don't know if the broad daylight shooting of the lifeguard has anything to do with it but it seems to be getting much more violent there.......
Yea im just gonna cut my losses and leave i just dont want any legal problems in mexico since im here by myself and dont know what they will do.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
thanks, yes i did sign a contract i just dont want to leave and then receive some mail back home that im being sued or if i return to mexico to be stopped at the border with some sort of warrant for my arrest because of the breach of contract.
Why can't you talk to your landlord?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't think safety is an issue for the poster

In that case, what happened with that woman in Washington DC, in broad daylight should people there be thinking about leaving DC?
Or NY?
Or Boston?
Waco?
Etc?
Nah, I don't think so

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's costly to take someone to court. The sooner you're out, the sooner he can get someone else in especially now as the high season approaches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, no safety isnt the issue and i wanted to know how landlords deal with this type of situation before i talk to them, hopefully all that happens is i lose my deposit but was a bit nervous because i dont know how the laws here work.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have broken one lease and made sure the owner didn't retain all of my deposit by running up a large electricity bill (in the landlord's name) before I left. Haven't had any problems renting anywhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have broken one lease and made sure the owner didn't retain all of my deposit by running up a large electricity bill (in the landlord's name) before I left. Haven't had any problems renting anywhere.
I got a good chuckle out of this post, its a good idea but i don't really have any problems with the landlord but if they were a******* i would definitely do this.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
I don't think safety is an issue for the poster

In that case, what happened with that woman in Washington DC, in broad daylight should people there be thinking about leaving DC?
Or NY?
Or Boston?
Waco?
Etc?
Nah, I don't think so
This person is in Tijuana, or that area. What happens elsewhere in the world is if little importance to someone when they're unfomcortable where they find themselves at the moment. Unless we stand in the shoes of someone else it's most often difficult to fully understand their situation.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
This person is in Tijuana, or that area. What happens elsewhere in the world is if little importance to someone when they're unfomcortable where they find themselves at the moment. Unless we stand in the shoes of someone else it's most often difficult to fully understand their situation.
Yeah right

·
Registered
416 Posts
Good luck with the meeting with the land lord. He might even be reasonable once he can see you have to leave and are so upfront telling him about it in advance.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I personally know more people here in Baja who have had better success with American landlords than Mexican landlords. So my statement is from experience, not just a supposition. Most Americans I've met here in my 3 years will agree that there are less problems with American landlords/owners than with Mexicans.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not sure why people are talking about getting their deposit back or running up bills to be sure they don't lose it. If you sign a lease, you've signed a contract. If you break it you lose your deposit. Technically you could be held responsible for the term of the lease, and that's what I thought the OP was talking about. Forget the deposit, you forfeit when you broke the lease. Talk to the landlord. Maybe you made a mistake signing a lease, but you still have your integrity. He will probably work with you, and as somebody said, the season is coming so he can probably rent to someone else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.