Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looks like the timelines for child visa are ridiculously large. In such a situation, the only option looks like getting the child here on a tourist visa.
For a new born, what are the pros and cons of doing so ?
For instance,
1. Medicare facility cannot be availed
2. What about mandatory vaccinations?
3. When visa is about to be decided, where do people usually travel to ? Is it Tasmania, New Zealand..or back to their own country?
4. In How much time is the visa decision taken? Do they give you a time frame to leave the country?

Anything else I might have missed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Uno_aussie,

Congrats for new born.
I am also going to be a dad soon and our PR grant came before we found out that we are going to be parents. So now i am also searching for the same info. If in case you will find out any info on your question, may i request you to put it up here so i can also view the same.

I found out the processing time for VISA 101 is 13 to 19 months which is way higher than i can afford to stay away from my baby and looks like tourist visa is the only option.

Thanks alot in advance.

Cheers

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi,

Looks like the timelines for child visa are ridiculously large. In such a situation, the only option looks like getting the child here on a tourist visa.
For instance,
3. When visa is about to be decided, where do people usually travel to ? Is it Tasmania, New Zealand..or back to their own country?
4. In How much time is the visa decision taken? Do they give you a time frame to leave the country?

Your post is all over the place mate. What are you really asking about ? What is the status of the child's parents ? Are they PR ?
Still try to answer some :

No medicare for tourists. You can purchase insurance.
What does a tourist need this for ? If the parents are PR - if your child doesn't have vaccination you will not get some of the benefits and the child will most likely be denied any day care.

I have no idea what you are asking here.

Reactions: Cap_ross

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi Uno_aussie,

If I understood correctly, you are planning to have the child in Australia while you are in visitor visa as the child visa processing time is longer.

Unfortunately, unlike US, Australia gives citizenship to the children born in Australia to the parents holding either PR or citizenship. Otherwise the child can get a visa same as his/her parents. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Uno_aussie,

If I understood correctly, you are planning to have the child in Australia while you are in visitor visa as the child visa processing time is longer.

Unfortunately, unlike US, Australia gives citizenship to the children born in Australia to the parents holding either PR or citizenship. Otherwise the child can get a visa same as his/her parents. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Jay
Hi Jay, and Happy Buddha,

I think i can elaborate or may be clarify on Uno_aussie behalf as am gonna be a father soon and my research is in progress. What we meant is till the time we apply for child visa 101 (applied from outside of aus, and your child is born outside aus) whose processing time will take 13 to 19months, we can bring the new born to Australia with tourist visa. Although am yet to find out how long can the new born stay in Aus using tourist visa till the time the PR VISA 101 is approved, but his questions were pertaining to this situation like
1. will we get any medicare benefit for the new born till the time PR is in progress
2. also, say the PR is about to be granted, do we jus need to go outside australia and come back or we need the baby to travel to origin country and come bak?

i am hoping uno_aussie meant the same thing. if not then atleast, you can help me on my questions and i will be grateful to you both. thanks.
Cheers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for taking the questions, yes you are very close to what I meant.

Both parents have PR, child is born in India. Now to get him here we need to apply child visa 101. Since the wait times are 13-19 months, its getting very difficult for me to stay without my wife and child being here with me in Aus. Hence trying to get them over by applying his tourist visa. However if a decision is being made while the child is here on tourist, then the child has to leave the country (since the child visa 101 is offshore visa).

I have heard that when a decision is being made, the CO will give 28 days notice to leave the country but will not mention how long it will take to make the decision.

With this background, my questions are:
For instance,
2. What about mandatory vaccinations? Can it be availed if child is on tourist visa?
3. When visa is about to be decided, where do people usually travel to ? Is it Tasmania, New Zealand..or back to their own country? Heard ppl travel to New zealand and come back?
4. In How much time is the visa decision is usually taken? Do they give you a time frame to leave the country and return?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.