Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello gurus

I'm currently on year 1 of the FLR(M) visa - leaving me able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in September 2018.

My partner and I are looking to get married in October of this year.

Does this affect my current visa? I notice I need to give 12 weeks notice and apply to Home Officer because I am a non EEA, do not have indefinite leave to remain, a marriage visa or have settled status in the UK. However - as I'm on a current partner visa, I cant see this being to intrusive?

Has anyone else done this? or can provide any advice?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
No, it wouldn't disrupt your visa to formally marry. The benefit of getting married is a shorter route to citizenship, if that is your aim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh really? I thought I would still be subject to the 5 year route? eg. By September next year I can apply for Indefinite Leave to remain and citizenship

Do I have to advise I have been married while on the visa as a change in circumstance? Im not changing my name.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
"5 year route" is with respect to settlement (i.e., Indefinite Leave to Remain)

Normally, you need to have settled status (ILR) for twelve months in order to apply for naturalisation. This requirement is waived if you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I thought citizenship was you had to ave been in the UK for 5 years minimum before citizenship. It will be 5 years for me next year - as a partner of a British Citizen.
So I can apply directly for citizenship without ILR?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Ok. I thought citizenship was you had to ave been in the UK for 5 years minimum before citizenship.
Yes, AND you must also have settled status for 12 months unless your spouse is British.

So I can apply directly for citizenship without ILR?
No, ILR is a requirement for citizenship. But if you are married to your British partner, you can apply for naturalisation straight away after receiving ILR and passing the life in the UK test. If you're unmarried, you'd need to wait 12 months after receiving ILR.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
That's the form you need to submit in order to give notice of your marriage; you would select option D and clarify that you have a visa as an unmarried partner of a British citizen

To refer to your earlier question - I don't know if you need to inform the Home Office of your marriage, but I would assume not, as you're not changing your name and it doesn't really change your immigration status in a significant way. You would however supply your marriage certificate with your next visa application (ILR). Again though, not 100% sure on this

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
"5 year route" is with respect to settlement (i.e., Indefinite Leave to Remain)

Normally, you need to have settled status (ILR) for twelve months in order to apply for naturalisation. This requirement is waived if you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen
This isn't quite right. The requirements to naturalise for a spouse of a UK citizen are that you have ILR AND you have been married for at least 3 years. This has been the requirement for a while. Under the old rules pre July 2012, when a spouse attained ILR after 2 years they had to wait a year before they could be naturalised. So, it's not that the requirement is waived, it's that all the requirements are met once a spouse has ILR presuming they have been married for 5 years.

If someone on FLR as an unmarried partner married in year 3, 4 or 5 they could apply for ILR in year 5 but they would have to wait until they were married for 3 years before they could apply to be naturalised.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.