Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have some problems with marriage now.
I am British and my girlfriend is a non-eu citizen and I had some stupid wrong information from the immigration so now everything screwed up.
I will start working with my new job which pays me about £1550 a month from June (my current job doesn't pay me enough for a spouse visa) and she will need to go back home in end of Aug as her student visa expires and uni course is completed.
We also booked our wedding venue for Feb next year and stuff for wedding due to wrong information so we can't really cancel everything now.
We thought several ways to get married on time but there isn't actually a way to get married.
Only the way we can do is getting married before her visa expires but I am not quite sure about this and this time, I really want to make sure everything is right, not wrong information.
The reason why we want to get married before her visa expires is because we don't want to spend nearly £1500 for only a fiance visa and if something goes wrong so she can't get a visa, she still can come as a visitor for our wedding ceremony.

1. Is it fine even though we get married 2 weeks before her visa expires? (I have been googling it and some people say that the visa needs to have like 6 months remaining after marriage but some people say it's doesn't matter as long as before the student visa expires so I am very confused)

Our plan is that after we get married in July or Aug, she needs to stay in her country until December (I will meet the financial requirement by Dec as it will be the 6 months working under the same employer) then get a spouse visa there (we will definitely need to use a priority service for this) and come back for wedding ceremony without a registrar (I am not sure about that but as we will be already married, I don't think we can get married again)

2. Is there any deadline to apply for a spouse visa after getting married?
She will have about 5-6 months gap between the marriage and applying for the spouse visa and I am just worried what if she gets rejected because of this reason and also I know that we need to get married within a year after giving a notice to a register office so it makes me more worried. Doesn't it even matter although she applies for the spouse visa like a year after marriage? It will not happen but just in case if I can't meet the financial requirement and she needs to stay in her country for a year.

3. She wants to come back to the UK in Nov for her uni graduation as a visitor for only 3 weeks. She doesn't need a visitor visa to travel in the UK for 6 months due to her nationality but will it affect her to apply for the spouse visa in Dec?

4. If she gets rejected for the spouse visa in Dec, is it going to be hard for her to come to the UK as a visitor later? (such as she will be held by immigration in the airport for few hours things like that)
I know this is kind of silly question but as I said, I want to make sure that I know everything.

Please, give me any idea that you know or suggestion. Everything will be helpful now.

Thank you!

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
#1 Yes, but the thing is, without fiancée or marriage visit visa, registrar is obliged to refer your case to Hone Office for consideration, which can take up to 70 working days. So with her visa expiring in 3 months, you don't have much time left. So if you intend to do this, don't delay and give notice (at a designated register office) ASAP.
Your February ceremony/event will be more like a blessing ceremony (if in a church) or reception, so has no legal consequences.
#2 No there isn't. People don't always apply for visa straight after marriage.
#3 Possible, but make sure she has all the supporting documents like details of degree ceremony (e.g. letter from university), sufficient funds, return ticket, strong ties at home etc.
#4 Yes it will be, as they suspect she is trying to sneak into the country to overstay, work illegally etc. Perhaps best to meet in a neutral country (like France) or you travel to see her in her native country until she is ready to reapply for spouse visa.
Just my personal views, mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.