Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone

I was just wondering how hard it is for a British citizen and an american to get married in Spain? Is there a lot of red tape to go through? Is it possible to get married in Spain and then apply for residency straight away or do you have to be married for a certain amount of time before you can apply for residency for your non Eu partner?

Thanks all

·
Administrator
36,443 Posts
Hi there everyone

I was just wondering how hard it is for a British citizen and an american to get married in Spain? Is there a lot of red tape to go through? Is it possible to get married in Spain and then apply for residency straight away or do you have to be married for a certain amount of time before you can apply for residency for your non Eu partner?

Thanks all
yes there is a lot of red tape - it might be easier to marry in the UK or even on Gibraltar

however, once you are married you can immediately apply for residency for the non-EU partner

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
okay, thankyou once again
Im not being nosey .... but is it both first marriages for you? If either of you have been divorced before then it becomes a paperwork nightmare in Spain.

As one of you is not an EU national, I'm guessing the paperwork trail could be mind bending should you get married in Spain

Gretna Green ..... that would be a good place :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not being nosey .... but is it both first marriages for you? If either of you have been divorced before then it becomes a paperwork nightmare in Spain.

As one of you is not an EU national, I'm guessing the paperwork trail could be mind bending should you get married in Spain

Gretna Green ..... that would be a good place :D
Hi there Stravinsky

Its not our first marriage so I guess it would be a nightmare as you said, I agree Gretna Green or Gibraltar sound a better idea, lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts