Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I moved to Oz 10 months ago on a 457 sponsership visa with work. My partner who is on a PR has just propsed to me and I said yes! the thing is Im not sure how this all works and what I have to do about getting married. Do I just stay on the 457 visa or do I have to apply for another? Its all abit confusing.:confused:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Congratulations :cheer2:

You can remain on your 457 and you can also apply for a Spouse Visa (onshore) after your nuptials.

As for marriage there are a few legal requirements. You normally have to file an intention to marry at least 30 days before the marriage (if you like legalese you may read the Marriage Act 1961).

Then you have to have your marriage done by a Celebrant (look at your local paper and search for celebrant). You can also do a church wedding and the pastor/priest/vicar is usually a celebrant as well.

I would contact a celebrant first to find out the requirements.

Right now you don't have to do anything but celebrate :party: :hug:

Hi I moved to Oz 10 months ago on a 457 sponsership visa with work. My partner who is on a PR has just propsed to me and I said yes! the thing is Im not sure how this all works and what I have to do about getting married. Do I just stay on the 457 visa or do I have to apply for another? Its all abit confusing.:confused:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Congratulations!

Have you set a date yet?

Ooooo, how exciting!!!!!

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hey bluecookie..

long time, how hv u been?? congratulations :)
yayyyyy..

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
first of all congrats to u:clap2::clap2:....secondly u can be on both the visas...but personally i would prefer 175 as u can stay indefintely in aussieleand whereas on 457 u can only stay for 2 years(of course u can again get it filed again)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Bluecookie

Congrats that's wonderful news. I am kind of in the same boat. I moved over on my NZ passport as I didn't have enough points on my British one. It means I can live and work here indefinately, but I can't get medicare and social security as I have never lived there! I'm getting married at Christmas and my other half is on a PR, so once I'm married I'll apply for the temporary spouse visa. After 2 years I believe it becomes permanent. This will be on my British passport. I was going to apply for the prospective marriage visa, but when it's granted you have to reenter the country and I really didn't want to have to do that.
As for the "intention to marry" we met with the minister last week and he gave us the form. Any celebrant should be able to arrange it. You need to show passport and birth certificate. You probably need more if you've been married before.
So I better go and start saving cos on top of the cost of the visa British passport are so expensive! Just to change your name! Oh well!

So when is the big day? Are you going home for it or having it here?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi British Kiwi:

Do you really have to change your British PP? My wife kept her existing PP and no need to get a new one even though her name changed. I think all you would need is a valid PP and the marriage certificate with the new name.

If it's about to expire then that's fine as you need to do it, but if it has years left as validity I don't think you do.

Hi Bluecookie

Congrats that's wonderful news. I am kind of in the same boat. I moved over on my NZ passport as I didn't have enough points on my British one. It means I can live and work here indefinately, but I can't get medicare and social security as I have never lived there! I'm getting married at Christmas and my other half is on a PR, so once I'm married I'll apply for the temporary spouse visa. After 2 years I believe it becomes permanent. This will be on my British passport. I was going to apply for the prospective marriage visa, but when it's granted you have to reenter the country and I really didn't want to have to do that.
As for the "intention to marry" we met with the minister last week and he gave us the form. Any celebrant should be able to arrange it. You need to show passport and birth certificate. You probably need more if you've been married before.
So I better go and start saving cos on top of the cost of the visa British passport are so expensive! Just to change your name! Oh well!

So when is the big day? Are you going home for it or having it here?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi British Kiwi:

Do you really have to change your British PP? My wife kept her existing PP and no need to get a new one even though her name changed. I think all you would need is a valid PP and the marriage certificate with the new name.

If it's about to expire then that's fine as you need to do it, but if it has years left as validity I don't think you do.
Yeah i will change it. It starts getting complicated if passport is in one name and everything else is in another. Will haveto bring marriage cert all the time! Anyway, even though I need to pay for another 10 year passport at least they will credit the remaining 5 years. Well they better or I will not be amused!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts