Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I met my partner a few years ago in 2014, while we were living in argentina and we've been in a relationship since that. She's an Uk national and I'm a Colombian one. In short words, we went from a long distance relationship to be living together. after a year of a long distance relationship I decided to move there as an student in a student visitor visa for 11 months, since that we've living together and currently we are living in Colombia, Where we signed an declaration of de facto marriage.

This declaration of de facto marriage is an actual civil partnership for people of opposite sex, which gives to people the same rights than an actual marriage. However, this legal paper doesn't exist at all in the Uk, for that reason we're thinking about to get married here in Colombia, or maybe see what possibilities we have to do that in the Uk.

So as part of our plan to carry on with our life together we've decided to move to the Uk, but we don't want to be apart from each other.

Having said that I have a couple of questions for you.
1. Can I get married in Colombia and then apply for a spouse visa? Or,
2. Do I have to apply for a marriage visitor visa to give notice of it?
3. If i get a visa to study english for 11 months, or to study master degree, will i be able to switch it to a spouse visa?
4. do you know another way or route to take?

thank you

By the way if you know some good immigration solicitor or adviser let me know about it please.

Have a great day

·
Registered
924 Posts
You can get married in Colombia and apply for a spouse visa after. If you marry in Colombia, you do not give notice in UK at all. All you need is your legal marriage certificate in English. if it is in another language then have it translated.

If you get a visa to study a masters degree, you can absolutely switch to spouse visa, from within the UK, no problem. I am not sure about the 11 months English study visa however.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.