Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

So me and my wife just recently got married(February 28th 2015)in Toronto. She is a French national. Were are looking to now get the marriage recognized in France. I have looked online on several websites and have been told i would have to contact the French Consulate in Toronto and provide documents (Marriage certificate, birth certificate , etc) Now my wife is back in France right now, so i was wondering if the process of getting it recognized would go a lot more faster if i just sent her the marriage certificate there and she went to town hall in Paris as opposed to me going to the consulate in Toronto.

Thanks

·
Administrator
51,321 Posts
Actually, it's not a matter of getting your marriage "recognized" in France. What has to happen is that the marriage needs to be registered/recorded in your wife's birth record. And this has to be done through the French Consulate in the place where the marriage took place - in your case, the Consulate in Toronto.

Besides registering the marriage in your wife's birth record, the consulate will also issue you a livret de famille, which you will definitely need if you ever decide to go for a spouse visa to live in France.

This is the page to start with on the Consulate website: Vous vous êtes marié(e) après le 1er mars 2007 - Consulat général de France à Toronto

You may get some hassle about having gotten married without having published the banns through the consulate - but you're hardly the first couple to have skipped that step. They'll possibly nag at you a little bit, but they will ultimately register your marriage and get you your livret de famille. But it might be better to wait until your wife returns from France so she can do the honors herself.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Bev.

Unfortunately my wife won't be back in Toronto anytime soon. She just got a job working at the Jules Verne by the Eiffel Tower :) Does she have to be here for me to get this appointment with the consulate? Also how long would this process typically take?

Thanks again

·
Administrator
51,321 Posts
It can take a while, depending on where your wife was born in France. I don't think she necessarily has to be there, but she may be able to get some of the supporting documents you'll need a bit easier by being in France. Key one will be her extrait de naissance.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bev

Again thanks for all your help. Just wondering will this also allow me to work in France as well?

Jason

·
Administrator
51,321 Posts
Once you have the marriage recorded in France, you can apply for a proper spouse visa, which carries all the work privileges you need - once you've gotten through the OFII procedure. That takes a few months after your arrival, but it also includes a meeting with the Pole Emploi office, which may or may not be useful in setting up a job hunt in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
737 Posts
when I was at school my french prof told me that there was only one way I would get a decent command of the language ...find a french girl to sleep with ; I looked , but no luck

looks like you have taken the first step ....if you ever want to come and live in france you had better make full use of it , lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Bev

Thanks again for that. One last question i have for you, would it be easier the course you recommended me going through, or could i do the working holiday visa and do the process you suggested afterword? Would that help speed up the process at all.

Thanks

·
Administrator
51,321 Posts
The working holiday visa is not renewable - and while there is usually an exception made when you're switching to a spouse visa, you never know when the prefecture will decide to get all pissy about details or you'll get someone who simply hasn't read the memo.

The spouse visa really is the "A ticket" to life in France, and if you haven't done your OFII visits by the time you go to change your status, you have to drop back and start that whole process from "go."

I'd go ahead and get an appointment to get the process started in Toronto, whether or not your wife is back yet from France. According to the consulate website, if you got married without having published the banns (as is now apparently required), you need to contact the service de l'etat civile at the consulate first. Le Mariage - Consulat général de France à Toronto
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Bev

Thanks for that. Were still debating weather we want to settle here(Toronto) or Settle in France where she is. Cause she did a conditional acceptance for the working holiday visa in Canada. But also cause she got that amazing job, i wouldn't want her to loose that opportunity. So more likely to aim to live there for the most part.

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts