Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have enough passive income to qualify for a residency visa so I am living on a tourist visa. The problem is that I am not able to get an internet connection with Telcel because they require a residency visa. My question is how are fellow expats who are living in Mexico long term on tourist visas getting internet/cable for their place? Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
I do not have enough passive income to qualify for a residency visa so I am living on a tourist visa. The problem is that I am not able to get an internet connection with Telcel because they require a residency visa. My question is how are fellow expats who are living in Mexico long term on tourist visas getting internet/cable for their place? Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.
That sounds weird. I have never heard of needing a visa for internet service. Try one of the cable providers. They are mostly faster than Telcel anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds weird. I have never heard of needing a visa for internet service. Try one of the cable providers. They are mostly faster than Telcel anyway.
See the mexicans I have talked to say telcel is the best for internet and speak badly of the other options. I went to their main office in the city I live in and was told I needed the proper visa to get the plan.

I looked into the USB chip which you can get without a plan but it costs much higher when you just do recargas instead of the plan. So I use the internet alot for work and financially it only works if I can get a steady internet plan hookup with a usb to be used as a backup.

Right now I am renting a room so the internet is included in the payment but I want to get my own place once I get the lay of the land so this is why I am looking at my options.

Thanks again for your input.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
See the mexicans I have talked to say telcel is the best for internet and speak badly of the other options. I went to their main office in the city I live in and was told I needed the proper visa to get the plan.

I looked into the USB chip which you can get without a plan but it costs much higher when you just do recargas instead of the plan. So I use the internet alot for work and financially it only works if I can get a steady internet plan hookup with a usb to be used as a backup.

Right now I am renting a room so the internet is included in the payment but I want to get my own place once I get the lay of the land so this is why I am looking at my options.

Thanks again for your input.
Telcel is cheaper maybe, but it is definitely slower, based on actually achieved speeds, not advertised speeds. For evidence, Netflix has a page which compares the average rates for various Mexican internet providers. My typical download speed is about 10 times the rate given by Netflix, but the advantage of their list is that it is comparing them all on the same basis.

Mexico ISP Speed Index Results| Netflix ISP Speed Index

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a temp residency visa, but I got internet and a landline (cable was an option to) just by showing my passport. I didn't even need to show my visa.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I got Cablemas in Juarez a few years ago with no visa at all, just filled out the app and made the first payment. Just a thought, but you might try asking to see a Telcel manager and explain your situation, adding that you would be willing to pay a little extra, to him/her, to get the application approved without a visa. I know a lot of expats refuse to pay a single nickel in the way of a bribe for anything, but it's the way a lot of things work in Mexico. Sometimes it can work to your advantage.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
I got Cablemas in Juarez a few years ago with no visa at all, just filled out the app and made the first payment. Just a thought, but you might try asking to see a Telcel manager and explain your situation, adding that you would be willing to pay a little extra, to him/her, to get the application approved without a visa. I know a lot of expats refuse to pay a single nickel in the way of a bribe for anything, but it's the way a lot of things work in Mexico. Sometimes it can work to your advantage.
Offering to pay a bribe is bad advice in my not-so-humble opinion. I've never done so in my 6 years of living in Mexico and never will!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've been in Baja for several years with only a passport and NO visa and never had a problem getting services of any kind.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Of course, we do.
Actually, I totally understand your position on bribes. One could make the argument that when we do so we perpetuate corruption. I totally get it, and it's never the first option. That said, if a few pesos is all that's standing in the way of making something important happen I don't mind and consider the practice a blessing in practical terms. It might not even work in this case, but no one is going to take offense at being offered compensation for doing a little extra to get someone internet service.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've been in Baja for several years with only a passport and NO visa and never had a problem getting services of any kind.
That's what I find odd about this situation.

However, when I tried to exchange dollars for pesos at a business in Durango I was asked for my visa. The business was not a casa de cambio but one of those box stores where people make minimum payments on appliances, TVs, etc. They happen to also do currency exchanges which is why my driver took me there. So who knows that the legal requirements are for internet services now. Still, I having a feeling if the OP gets determined about this getting the service will finally happen.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Actually, I totally understand your position on bribes. One could make the argument that when we do so we perpetuate corruption. I totally get it, and it's never the first option. That said, if a few pesos is all that's standing in the way of making something important happen I don't mind and consider the practice a blessing in practical terms. It might not even work in this case, but no one is going to take offense at being offered compensation for doing a little extra to get someone internet service.
I think that an honest Mexican (and they are in the majority, I believe) might take offense at being offered a bribe, especially someone working for a large corporation like Telmex or Cablemas.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
Foreigners/expats who reside in Mexico on permission to be present in the country as a tourist do so illegally.
It is good for us all to remember that the opinions expressed on this board are just that --opinions. And, they are worth just what you pay for them.

I don't know if the opinion expressed above is accurate or not. I do know that I have never seen anything on the INM web site that says anything about restrictions on the number of Tourist Permits one can have. And, I was present at a meeting once where a representative from INM stated that there was no problem with multiple consecutive Tourist Permits.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.