Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I think I am beginning to adjust here. However, my husband and I have talked about purchasing a home either in Brittany or Bordeaux. I think we will grow tired of Parisian life after a couple of years.

I would like to start taking classes at Sorbonne while I am in proximity. I hear good things from everyone about the classes for foreigners there.

A couple of questions though...

I am guessing after this year, I will apply for my longer visa since this is my first year. But at what point can I start applying for French citizenship? My husband and I have been married for over 8 years now. I know I will need a B1 level of French which is fine. Would it be feasible to start applying next year?

Thanks in advance

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi ATP - I'm assuming your husband is French. Here is a link to the public service website which explains the conditions you need to meet Nationalité française par mariage : conditions - Service-public.fr. From my reading, it appears that, timewise, you would be able to apply for French nationality now provided your marriage has been registered in France. So I guess it really depends how long you think it will take you to reach the B1 standard in French.

Hope this helps :)

In the meantime, I believe you will only be able to renew your titre de sejour for one year at a time (I haven't checked, but Bev will know).

Am really pleased you are considering taking French nationality :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ATP - I'm assuming your husband is French. Here is a link to the public service website which explains the conditions you need to meet Nationalité française par mariage : conditions - Service-public.fr. From my reading, it appears that, timewise, you would be able to apply for French nationality now provided your marriage has been registered in France. So I guess it really depends how long you think it will take you to reach the B1 standard in French.

Hope this helps :)

In the meantime, I believe you will only be able to renew your titre de sejour for one year at a time (I haven't checked, but Bev will know).

Am really pleased you are considering taking French nationality :)
Well why not? Options Options Options! :p

We got the marriage registered as soon as we were married in the US. We got the Livre Famille right away too... so looks like I can apply as soon as I get to B1 level.

Do I need a certificate stating I know B1?

·
Administrator
49,785 Posts
At the moment, it looks like you'll need to have a B1 level certificate. Usually easiest to contact the local Alliance Française and arrange through them to do their test.

And yes, until your nationality comes through (it can take up to about a year once your dossier is complete and has been accepted) you'll have to renew your carte de séjour each year.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts