Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife is on a Spouse Visa and we both work full time. Our first baby was born a few months ago and when we filled in the child benefit form we did it in my wife's name with her bank account details.

It dawned on me today that I might have screwed this up because I know she has no recourse to public funds, I assumed because the child was ours and I am a British Citizen that it was ok to apply in her name (forgive the logic).

What do I do now? Do I need to immediately call the Child Benefits office and get this resolved? I'm fearful that this may affect the application for Indefinite Leave To Remain. If I have done it wrong is it just a case of paying it back and then re-applying under just my name.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as your wife is on a spouse visa sponsored by you (a British Citizen) then there is no problem.

Read here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518624/Public_funds_v13.0.pdf

Page 21, Exception 3: Persons who are the family member of a person who is a UK, EEA, or Swiss national. The parent of a British child will not be excluded from entitlement to child benefit on the ground that they are subject to immigration control.
Thanks for this. I suppose that is why they allowed it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My wife is on a Spouse Visa and we both work full time. Our first baby was born a few months ago and when we filled in the child benefit form we did it in my wife's name with her bank account details.

It dawned on me today that I might have screwed this up because I know she has no recourse to public funds, I assumed because the child was ours and I am a British Citizen that it was ok to apply in her name (forgive the logic).

What do I do now? Do I need to immediately call the Child Benefits office and get this resolved? I'm fearful that this may affect the application for Indefinite Leave To Remain. If I have done it wrong is it just a case of paying it back and then re-applying under just my name.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi I just want to ask how’s your wife application on flr after this ? We are on the same sit and I’m worried that it might affect my extension application next year ..
I’m spouse visa holder ( no recourse to public funds ) and I applied for my child benefits too under my name and bank acct I’m married to a British citizen a father of my child .. I’m worried that because of applying child benefits on my name it might affect on my extension

hope you give a feedback regarding about this thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.