Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, need some opinion and help.

Wife's company is relocating us to US, target date is first week of June (next month). Our passports are both expiring exactly 1 year from now which is May 2016. If we will request new passports, we will be needing to fly back to our home country and will take a lot of time and money.

If we use existing passport entering US, and just renew our passports while in the US, will there be some hassles? We know that our L1 and L2 visas will be valid for the next 3 years, but we want to know if we are going to have hard time to update to our new passport details to the US immigration, and update the I-94 cards.

Will it affect our credibility rating to open a bank account or buy a car.

Thanks to your answers.

·
Administrator
51,321 Posts
Generally speaking, if you renew a visa or other document that goes into your passport like that, if the visa is valid past the passport expiration date, you'll need to carry both the old and new passports on entry to the US.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally speaking, if you renew a visa or other document that goes into your passport like that, if the visa is valid past the passport expiration date, you'll need to carry both the old and new passports on entry to the US.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks for the response. The immigration lawyer says if we renew our passport while in the US, we need to update our I-94 card, and the only way to do this is by going outside of US and re-entry. Is that the only way to update I-94 card/record?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
This is a complete non-event. It happens every day of the year. You can renew your passports in the US. Your I-94 will still be valid. As suggested above, keep old and new passport (with your visa) together.

Your ability to buy a car or open a bank account will not be compromised. For a start, your passport is only used for ID. And a month or so after arrival you will have a social security number instead, as well as a driving licence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a complete non-event. It happens every day of the year. You can renew your passports in the US. Your I-94 will still be valid. As suggested above, keep old and new passport (with your visa) together.

Your ability to buy a car or open a bank account will not be compromised. For a start, your passport is only used for ID. And a month or so after arrival you will have a social security number instead, as well as a driving licence.
After getting a new passport, should we really exit USA? Why is our immigration lawyer is suggesting that? she claims that its the only way.

What I understand is that the I-94 expiry date will be the same with the expiry date of our the current passports (May 2016).

Can we update I-94 by personally going to Immigration office, and inform them that we have new passport, and please issue us new I-94.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there
Not sure if passport expiry date has anything to do with I94 date.
For example I last came back into the US on a UK passport in Dec 2013, my L1 visa expired Dec 2014 and my passport expired August 2018. The CBP gave me a I94 expiry date of 2016?
Additionally my sons passport expired while his current visa is still valid. When we come back in he just shows his current unexpired passport and the visa in the expired passport (with corners cut off); never had so much as a comment seems to be normal day to day expectation.
Additionally we had our L1/2 visas extended while we were in the US and they just sent us a new I94 from with revsied date on it.
As always you should be guided by an immigration lawyer but you can do a lot by mail in the US.
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there
Not sure if passport expiry date has anything to do with I94 date.
For example I last came back into the US on a UK passport in Dec 2013, my L1 visa expired Dec 2014 and my passport expired August 2018. The CBP gave me a I94 expiry date of 2016?
Additionally my sons passport expired while his current visa is still valid. When we come back in he just shows his current unexpired passport and the visa in the expired passport (with corners cut off); never had so much as a comment seems to be normal day to day expectation.
Additionally we had our L1/2 visas extended while we were in the US and they just sent us a new I94 from with revsied date on it.
As always you should be guided by an immigration lawyer but you can do a lot by mail in the US.
Thanks
Jason

Thanks for your information. I know this should not be a big deal. I still wonder why our immigration lawyer suggest to go out of US to update the I-94. Surely we can find a way to resolve this.

Thanks all for the reassurance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts