Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread, but since it seems somewhat related to the topic at hand, I thought I might throw in a question of my own.

My mom and dad are playing around with the idea of selling their house and spending half the year in NOLA, where my sister lives, and the other half in Toulouse, where my in-laws live. My mom thinks that once I can get citizenship that they can come over and live here, but from the little I've read (and experienced), I imagine it's much more complicated than that (plus I asked, and I believe I was told that parents aren't really eligible for family visas). If they're only spending somewhere between 4-6 months in France per year anyway, seems to me a long term visa would be fine, even if that means they'd have to apply for one every year. But since whenever I applied for my long term visa, it was with getting married in mind, I'm not sure how it'd work for my parents. They have been retired for several years and have done well with saving up for their retirement, so I'm certain that proving they have the means wouldn't be difficult.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I've moved you into a thread of your own because we do get this sort of question from time to time and I think it would be easier for the lurkers if it was its own discussion.

OK, you're correct - there isn't really a handy visa for someone doing the "six month splits" like your parents are thinking of doing. Having a son or daughter who is a French citizen is only really useful if the parents are dependent on the French citizen and/or will be living with them while in France. (And, no matter how much you love your family, do you really want your parents living with you like that?)

If they wanted to spend the majority of their time in France, they could get a visitor visa like regular retirees - but they would probably then be subject to French income (and other) taxes in the bargain.

Or, there is, like you said, the plan where you just get a 4 or 6 month visa every year (or whenever you want to come over to France for more than 90 days).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha! Boy, we'd be in trouble if my parents were to be dependent on me. :)

Thanks for the information, Bev. You voiced pretty much what I'd suspected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.