Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once we've brought our dog to France we're going to need a Pet Passport for her so that we can take her to other European countries. Is there a special process/procedure for this or do we just go to a local French vet? We have the proper EU pet import papers, along with a rabies vaccination certificate (in English). She has the necessary microchip.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Once we've brought our dog to France we're going to need a Pet Passport for her so that we can take her to other European countries. Is there a special process/procedure for this or do we just go to a local French vet? We have the proper EU pet import papers, along with a rabies vaccination certificate (in English). She has the necessary microchip.
We just went to the vet. The "passport" is a little carnet that shows your pet's chip # and vaccinations.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Vet does it all.
Just take some ID, a utility bill and the dog’s birth certificate.
Rabies shots need renewing every 12 months in France and there maybe still a requirement for a blood test to check the activity of this shot.
I understand US chips are different to European so that may need changing.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
My vet asks folks in the spring if they will need a "pet passport" for summer travel. Apparently it only costs 6€ or so - at least if you get it from your regular vet (who has all the vaccination and other records). It may be a bit more if you are a first-time patient, just because I assume they would want to bring all the records up to date.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Vet does it all.
Just take some ID, a utility bill and the dog’s birth certificate.
Rabies shots need renewing every 12 months in France and there maybe still a requirement for a blood test to check the activity of this shot.
I understand US chips are different to European so that may need changing.
My vet did not ask me those these things, just chip ID papers (my dog was just a very young puppy at the time and I acquired him in France - plus I had already attended the vet with him re finalisation of his vaccinations).

·
Registered
106 Posts
My vet did not ask me those these things, just chip ID papers (my dog was just a very young puppy at the time and I acquired him in France - plus I had already attended the vet with him re finalisation of his vaccinations).
OK that’s good. To save a wasted trip, I just take along anything that might be asked for knowing how pedantic some people are.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
BTW, once you have your pet passport it becomes your pet's 'carnet' and the vet will just update the details with future vaccinations (at no extra cost). Just in case anyone though you had to get a new passport each year :)

·
Banned
92 Posts
If the animal has a US chip that is unreadable as others has said, a new one installed will also have a cost of registration. 11€ I think.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just to add to this topic, it could be a better option for the dog and the owner to buy your own scanner in USA and carry it with you.....This is acceptable....
Perhaps better than having another chip put in the pet as this also means keeping both chips up to date on databases and of course re injecting etc etc..

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Just to add to this topic, it could be a better option for the dog and the owner to buy your own scanner in USA and carry it with you.....This is acceptable....
Perhaps better than having another chip put in the pet as this also means keeping both chips up to date on databases and of course re injecting etc etc..
The issue, surely, is not whether the OP can scan the chip, but rather that if the pet gets lost etc. in France it's owner can be located and that depends very much on whether the chip is on the register here in the EU - not very helpful in such circumstances if it's a US register.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My vet in Paris issued the Pet Passport within a day as I recall ... very easy process (especially after going through all the US paperwork required to approve the travel of a pet WITHOUT a passport). I have traveled with my Westie several times now and no one at customs has even examined the passport.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re the "one-year" rabies shot ... the pet passport issued by my French vet shows that the rabies shot my Westie received in the US is valid for three years. I will check with them next time I visit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts