Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am trying to figure out how to get a marriage recognised in Spain so I can have my fiance/wife living here legally with residency of her own.
I am a UK citizen and resident of spain for 6 years, she is from Tunisia and has a business visa.

We were thinking of having the marriage in Denmark, but I am unsure then how to get the marriage recognised in spain? After we have the certificate etc, what are the criteria for it to be recognised?

And am I right in assuming we only need to focus on getting it recognised in spain, or is it absolutely necessary to do it in the UK too? (I don't see why spain would care?)

·
Registered
871 Posts
The non-EU spouse of an EU national legally living in Spain, has the right to Spanish Residencia.

They must start the application during the validly of a visa to visit Spain. That the visa becomes invalid after that is no problem.

The RESIDENCIA will show who their EU Spouse is.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As a rule, a marriage is deemed legal if it meets all of the requirements of the country in which you are married. Once you have a legal marriage certificate, your marriage is 'recognised' in Spain, UK and elsewhere.

There are some circumstances where a marriage would not be recognised on the grounds of public policy, but these are issues such as under-age marriage.

If you need to demonstrate that you have entered into a legal marriage for any reason, the marriage certificate translated and certified into the local language is usually enough.

WARNING: If you use your original marriage certificate to demonstrate that you are legally married for the Spanish immigration process, THEY KEEP IT ! We had a lawyer do everything he could to get our marriage certificate back and the authorities insisted that they were required to keep it, and that's where it stays to this day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For some purposes you need to have your marriage certificate "apostled". Which is an embossed stamp we had to send our marriage certificate back to the UK (where the certificate was issued) to have this done.
Moyra

·
Registered
296 Posts
For some purposes you need to have your marriage certificate "apostled". Which is an embossed stamp we had to send our marriage certificate back to the UK (where the certificate was issued) to have this done.
Moyra
Yes I think this is part of the Spanish 'if the document is older than 3 months, its no longer valid', so the document has to be re-validated as being a legal one in the country of origin.

Twas fun at our end as the process to re-validate in Indonesia involved validation from three government offices in Jakarta plus Spanish embassy there. Jakarta bureaucracy makes the Spanish one look like its in a formula 1 race, so we were faced with a process that took longer than 3 months. That meant that by the end of the re-validation process, it had already expired and had to begin again.

Eventually got there by hook and crook as ye olde saying goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts