Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are thinking about moving to London (from Australia) for a year and are looking into potential jobs for him. He currently works as a Senior Business Analyst (BA) in the Australian Public Service. He would be wanting a 12 month contract as a BA in London, paying around 350 - 400 GBP per day (he needs to cover my pay as well as I wouldn't be working over there, instead looking after our 5 month old daughter). I have seen a lot of these high paying contract jobs advertised and wanted to know what peoples experience was with these jobs.

My questions are:
1. Have you gotten one of these contract jobs in London?
2. What experience did you have to get this job?
3. Did you find it difficult to get the job?
4. What was the job like?

I should add that he needs to get a job offer before we go as we can't risk going there and him not getting a job. Did you get a job before you went?

Any other advice you can offer is appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
224 Posts
You would need a company to sponsor your husband in order to be able to work in UK.

There is a minimum salary criteria in order to be able to get sponsorship. I don't think contract job is part of the criteria. You would need to get a perm job.

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
You would need a company to sponsor your husband in order to be able to work in UK.

There is a minimum salary criteria in order to be able to get sponsorship. I don't think contract job is part of the criteria. You would need to get a perm job.
A lot of Australians have British passport or UK ancestry, so may not require a sponsored Tier 2 work visa.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I work in the IT sector, and more less that is the kind of daily rate I would get.

I have been applying for jobs for the last couple of months and I have got the fabulous amount of 1 interviews.

After a while one beings to notice that at least 30% of the "jobs" advertised are just dodgy agencies requiring urgently people for the same short term contracts trying to build a CV database for goodness knows which nefarious purposes :-(

Having said the above, there seem to be jobs in the market but the competitiong is fierce, I have applied for jobs I would have not applied 5 years ago (in the middle of nowhere, less money than I used to earn, etc) and still haven't got any joy. Friends of mine are normally applying for 6-8 months before they get something (situation post 2008 banking crisis).

I am not talking people out of college with no experience, I am talking techies at the top of their game with 10-15 years experience in big important companies. Really grim that this group of people is struggling....

·
Registered
224 Posts
I appiled a few job before i fly to UK. None of them reply except for 1 rejection..

I hope i can get a job soon.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I appiled a few job before i fly to UK. None of them reply except for 1 rejection..

I hope i can get a job soon.
Agencies and companies hiring rarely reply, I only get to hear from companies that are truly interested on my skills, never hear from people rejecting my application of hand.

·
Registered
224 Posts
jlms: i am applying from jobserve and jobsite.. Any other site that you normally go to?

I am also in IT field.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.