Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've been living and working in the UK for nearly 2 and half years on the IT industry earning around £27k comfortable but monotonous, unrewarded and unchallenging. In my personal case even though I'm lucky to have a permanent full job I still want to dedicate more time to myself and my family, money it's important (mortgage) but not the only factor as long as I can stay within the same range I'm currently at.

Teaching is something I enjoy and I've been involved since I was at Uni, mostly tutoring people from all ages in Spanish and Math's so I've decided to go for it here and change my career. I feel confident enough to teach first Math and Spanish as I've registered myself on UCAS, validated my Bachelor and Master's with UK NARIC, currently validating my GCSE's as that's compulsory plus need to do minimum 10 days volunteering at a primary school.

But what I really want to know if any of you have any experience or know someone who's gone into teaching these subjects in the UK, your advice on what to do or not to do would be highly appreciated. I feel as this is something I want to do but reading many negative comments on how teachers are treated and the amount of pressure they're currently receiving it's making me think twice as this is a life changing step.

Time wise, money wise, mental health wise what do you think?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
There is a shortage of Qualified Maths Teachers, so depending on location, you will have difficulty finding a position. However as regards Job satisfaction, if there is no one here ( Teacher) who is able to give an opinion, be good idea to search Teacher Communities online.

Teaching is not the "holiday" many think. I have a niece who Teaches Geography and her time does not end at 3.30pm when most pupils leave but often 6.00pm and later. Holidays may seem generous, but many Teachers have to prepare curriculum material for the coming Term, etc.
Teaching can be a rewarding career in ways other than financial.

Do a bit more research as suggested, to find out first hand.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks skyf, I personally know one teacher and she says it's not for everyone but as per her experience it's worth although her circumstances are different, she's only done that all her life, lives in Wales and teaches English.
I think every case is personal, my quick profile is: I live in Berkshire, could teach Spanish/Math, have currently a full time job and this last bit it's what's making me think because I'm gonna leave my current career and typical job (9-5) behind if I proceed.
You're right I will also join teacher communities around my area, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Just a further point. Unless you want to be a Supply Teacher getting a Firm placement within the area you want, usually means starting at the beginning of a Term. Something to remember, but am sure other Teachers will give advice.
Incidentally should insert NOT in my 1st sentence......"will NOT have". Should always read ones text as Teacher always told me!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.