Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I understood purchasing a property in Spain until I read some threads.:noidea:

If we purchase a property in Spain, can we use just a Gestor, or we would need to use a lawyer as well? I'm really confused how the two would interact if we can use both. It seems like you pay 1% to the lawyer, whether you use a Gestor, or not.

Also we would greatly appreciate any lawyer/gestor recommendations for the Costa Del Sol area.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Thought I understood purchasing a property in Spain until I read some threads.:noidea:

If we purchase a property in Spain, can we use just a Gestor, or we would need to use a lawyer as well? I'm really confused how the two would interact if we can use both. It seems like you pay 1% to the lawyer, whether you use a Gestor, or not.

Also we would greatly appreciate any lawyer/gestor recommendations for the Costa Del Sol area.

Thanks for any help.
Just like in UK, you don't need a 'lawyer' - all you need is someone who is good at conveyancing.

I would always recommend a gestor who is either part of an abogado firm who who has close ties with one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My parents were talked into not using a lawyer when they bought their house in Murcia in 2006, and thought they were OK because they signed at notary. The estate agent told them not to bother, and they never told me what they were doing.

Turns out the whole thing was illegal, something that would have been picked up by a lawyer.

It has been in court for the last 6 years, and final judgement has just been given last month.

They saved 1500€ originally by not using a lawyer! and it has since cost over 30,000€ in legal fees fighting in court for it.

It's not worth the risk - use a lawyer!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
My parents were talked into not using a lawyer when they bought their house in Murcia in 2006, and thought they were OK because they signed at notary. The estate agent told them not to bother, and they never told me what they were doing.

Turns out the whole thing was illegal, something that would have been picked up by a lawyer.

It has been in court for the last 6 years, and final judgement has just been given last month.

They saved 1500€ originally by not using a lawyer! and it has since cost over 30,000€ in legal fees fighting in court for it.

It's not worth the risk - use a lawyer!

... by lawyer you really mean a good gestor. A lawyer can do NO more than a gestor when it comes to buying/selling a house (except charge more).

If you don't use either (as in your example) then yes, things can go horribly wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
... by lawyer you really mean a good gestor. A lawyer can do NO more than a gestor when it comes to buying/selling a house (except charge more).

If you don't use either (as in your example) then yes, things can go horribly wrong.
No I don't, I mean use a lawyer, and an independent one from the agent at that.

Also, check if your lawyer is bonded, as they're not all in Spain. Then if there are issues later, you can sue!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts