Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am a British citizen living in the UK, always have and my girlfriend is German. She is a mental health nurse and we could really do with some help around her moving to the UK.

What insurance does she need to get, does she need private medical insurance or can she use the NHS like everyone else? Does she need any other special insurance? She seems to think she needs legal protection, medical insurance, annuity insurance and liability insurance, all which she pays for in Germany at the moment.

Would be fantastic if anyone knows of someone in the nursing community who has moved from Germany to the UK. I need to know if her qualifications are transferable.

Any help or information would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Your girlfriend needs to contact the RCN ( Royal College of Nurses)in UK, she can let them know what her qualifications are, and if they are transferable. She may have to do some time of extra training to make her qualifications comparable, she will also need a very good standard of English to communicate with clients in UK, but the RCN will verify that for her, and may be able to advise her if there is a 'conversion course' for foreign trained nurses in her field of nursing.
RCN: Home
I have seen many foreign trained nurses working in nursing homes, but not as qualified nurses, they are taken on as care assistants,if they haven't done conversion courses, so it is worth her while checking up about the qualifications, doing extra training if necessary, to enable her to use her training in the UK, to work as a UK Registered mental health nurse, and get much better pay, and chances of promotion.
If your girlfriend works as a qualified nurse in the UK, most nurses belong to the RCN, and pay a small fee, if there are any liability problems, the RCN will help, they also have a pension scheme.
Also any job, especially within the NHS, and private sector will deduct, NI and tax out of monthly wage so your girlfriend is eligible for NHS care herself as an EU citizen.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hi

I am a British citizen living in the UK, always have and my girlfriend is German. She is a mental health nurse and we could really do with some help around her moving to the UK.

What insurance does she need to get, does she need private medical insurance or can she use the NHS like everyone else? Does she need any other special insurance? She seems to think she needs legal protection, medical insurance, annuity insurance and liability insurance, all which she pays for in Germany at the moment.

Would be fantastic if anyone knows of someone in the nursing community who has moved from Germany to the UK. I need to know if her qualifications are transferable.

Any help or information would really be appreciated.

If your girlfriend comes to the UK seeking and finding work then, once a resident of the UK she will be eligible to use the NHS.

Never heard of annuity insurance (an annuity to me is something a private individual invests in so as to ensure payments until death).

Liability insurance is usually included in your home insurance when you insure your home, personal items etc. to protect against say, your dog, biting someone.

Legal Protection - again not hear of this - unless you mean local taxes to pay for the police/fire etc.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi Crawford,
In UK most nurses belong to the RCN, which as well as being a host of information and help for the member, on further training, updating training etc, is a Union type body, if there are any legal /liability problems, which can occur in the medical profession, they provide assistance and legal help, from a solicitor, if required to the nurse. Plus the RCN will defend nurses rights/pay with the government.
I receive an RCN pension, now I am retired,because I chose to subscribe at the beginning of my career, which is payable until I die. I think what the OP was describing is perhaps the German equivalent of the RCN, it sounds similar to me.

·
Registered
39,034 Posts
First port of call is Nursing and Midwifery Council to enable her to put her name on the nursing register. As an EU national qualified in EU, she should be able to register without further training. See Trained in Europe | Nursing and Midwifery Council. She will have to pay £110 assessment fee, plus £100 registration fee when approved. This can take up to 3 months, so she should start the process before arriving in UK. They will send her an application pack.
Once she registers, she can join RCN if she likes and she is automatically covered for a host of legal help, representation and indemnity, which should be enough for most nurses: Legal help - RCN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All, really really thank you for your replies I didn't expect such fast responses with such good information.

Much appreciated :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.