Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we will be arriving in Perth in July and I intend to work as part of husbands 457 visa. I currently.work in the banking sector however do not necessarilly want to work in the same sector due to being able to reduce hours due to childcare. I would just like to get a job in a shop etc. Is this possible? Where's the best place to look for this kind of work or customer service type work .

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
have you contacted any childcare yet? because the cost will be the same fr 2 hours or 8 hours. there are a few occasional childcare or family day care. my daughter goes to childcare and teh cost is 85$ per day irrespective of her attending full day or an hour.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Once you arrive, then keep an eye out on the job section in the paper - try the West Australian. Some shops will also put an advert in the window when they have vacancies or if they have a website, then visit the careers section of their website.

One thing to also bear in mind is that a lot of employers are prepared to offer part-time/ reduced hours/ flexi time to fit around their employees' lifestyle, so you do not necessarily have to change career as opposed to having to find an employer who offers good work/life balance. Jobs in the public sector are typically great when it comes to offering flexi hours though you would be limited to applying for fixed contract/ part-time positions due to your visa status.

The issue with just working in a shop is that you have to compete with students and backpackers who are happy to work for less. A lot of employers will also not employ you if you appear overqualified as there is always the danger (regardless of your motivations) that you will get bored very quickly and then leave.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.