Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We are looking to move to Australia on the 457 visa we didnt get enough points to go across on the skilled visa.
We dont really know where to start, do we apply for sponsors first then find somewhere to live ? How long does it take from finding a sponsor to having to be moved and set up ready to start work. Should i have sold my house yesterday so to speak?
Any help would be great.
Also where are the best areas to move to with children aged 7 and 10, both love their water sports so not too far inland would be better for us. Have to have good schools too.
We had friends who moved to mapleton area and this is the only area we sort of know.
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi nicci,

Quick response, i'm no expert but am in Australia on a 457, currently transitioning to Permanent Residency.

Firstly don't even consider putting your house up for sale, yet.

The 457 was recently announced to be abolished and replaced with a new set of visas.

What job do yo or your partner carry out? Is it on the new revised list of occupations - you'll be able to find on the immi site.

I moved internally with my current firm from London to Sydney, around the time i was setting that up, i independently tried to find jobs that offered the 457 route, and they were very hard to find. I'd set yourself up with a Recruiter/ Immigration consultant here who may be able to help.

Re an area, why do you want to move to au, whats motivating you? Where have you been before here? Do you like living in big cities/countryside? Watersports sea of happy to be on a lake/ river etc? Will help narrow it down, Its a big country!!

You'll love it here!

:smile::smile::smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

My husband is an Ict Business Analyst so his job is on the list, he has no university qualifications but has been doing this role for 15+years.

Do you reccomend any recruiters / agencies?

We have never visited before, its just somewhere we have always liked the idea of living, open spaces, watersports for kids and community life.
Where we live at the minute there isnt really anything for the kids to do as they grow up and my two are outdoor children.

We hope that it can be a long term move but if it cant be it will be an amazing experience for the kids (and us)

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
Hi
We are looking to move to Australia on the 457 visa we didnt get enough points to go across on the skilled visa.
We dont really know where to start, do we apply for sponsors first then find somewhere to live ? How long does it take from finding a sponsor to having to be moved and set up ready to start work. Should i have sold my house yesterday so to speak?
Any help would be great.
Also where are the best areas to move to with children aged 7 and 10, both love their water sports so not too far inland would be better for us. Have to have good schools too.
We had friends who moved to mapleton area and this is the only area we sort of know.
Thank you
My advice is...slow down! :)

You know little about Australia, and you are ready to cut ties to home and sell your house and just move...?

To get a temporary working visa, you need an Australian business to sponsor you - and they have to satisfy DIBP that they can't get local workers first, and you will need to be qualified. Assuming you somehow found an employer willing to sponsor you, what will you do if the visa ends (either after 2 or 4 years) and you can't get permanent residency and have to leave?

A temporary visa is for a temporary stay - you can't live permanently in Australia on a temporary visa - while you may (or may not!) be able to renew it, that depends on the employers needs and doesn't give the security or rights of an Australian resident, as well as being much more expensive for health insurance, to bring up kids (schools/universities, etc) it's either get a permanent visa, or leave (or be deported if you overstay) .

What happens if you arrive and decide you don't like it? If you or the kids miss "home" too much? Quite few Brits do well here, but some return back to the UK too.

What then, if you have to uproot the family, and take the kids to a new school back in the UK where you don't have a house any more?

A permanent skilled visa is a better option if you can meet the requirements, but even then, you should investigate what your life might be like, what prospective locations might be like, what employment prospects there might be, what you might do with no work and no benefits payable for 2 years, etc.

I'm not suggesting you don't do it, but you need to research thoroughly and most of all, protect your family's interests in case it doesn't work out. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I know it all sounds a bit rash doesn't it, but we think if we don't do it now we never will and we will always wonder what if. Our oldest is in his last year of primary schooling and will be moving up to comprehensive school next September so thought that now is as good a time than any as he will be going through big changes any way.

We are unsure as to whether to put the house up for sale or to rent it out, ideally we would like to rent it out but then don't want to be taxed on the rent as an income and would also not want to return to the area if we did have to comeback to the UK.

My husbands job is on the long term list for jobs needed so hopefully that will be ok esp if we can get out there before the rules change on converting to PR.

Its all so daunting but so exciting at the same time.

Did you go over on a temp visa? If so how hard is it to convert to a PR?
What area do you live in, would you recommend it?

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
Hi,

I know it all sounds a bit rash doesn't it, but we think if we don't do it now we never will and we will always wonder what if. Our oldest is in his last year of primary schooling and will be moving up to comprehensive school next September so thought that now is as good a time than any as he will be going through big changes any way.

We are unsure as to whether to put the house up for sale or to rent it out, ideally we would like to rent it out but then don't want to be taxed on the rent as an income and would also not want to return to the area if we did have to comeback to the UK.

My husbands job is on the long term list for jobs needed so hopefully that will be ok esp if we can get out there before the rules change on converting to PR.

Its all so daunting but so exciting at the same time.

Did you go over on a temp visa? If so how hard is it to convert to a PR?
What area do you live in, would you recommend it?
I live in Perth. A lot of Brits here, but less population and less work.

Getting a permanent visa is not especially hard if you can meet the visa requirements for a skilled visa. It's harder to find a sponsor for a permanent visa, which is a different process, and a different visa class. You can always check your options here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1

I wouldn't worry about prospective or future visa changes too much - there will be some changes, but the Migration Program will still mean there will be temporary and permanent visas.

In terms of your house, I can't advise you. I would however point out that getting taxed on rental income can only happen if you're making a profit anyway - in the meantime you keep the security of the house. There are tax treaties to make sure you're not taxed by both countries on the same thing.

If you know that you will move permanently, then if it was me, I would of course sell. But you don't know if you will even get a visa, if you can get a permanent visa,etc. To buy an established house here on a temporary visa you'd probably need approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board, with conditions.

Read around as much as you can to get as much information as you can. Housing, especially in Melbourne and Sydney can be expensive, whether buying or renting. Chances are that although wages may be higher here (although they may not be when starting work) the cost of living probably will be. You may not have the same level of support that you have now - familiar things will seem very far away for a while. :)

All things to consider and investigate. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts