Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have some doubts with regard to the eligibility and value of the following social benefits.

Query 1 (for a family with one kid):

A) There's 1) parenting payment and 2) child care rebate 3) child care benefit and 4) job, education and trailing child care fees assistance. What it the difference among these and which ones of these are claimable without waiting period of 2 yrs for recent PR holders who have moved ti Aus?

B) Family assistance part A and B payment

All these look pretty confusing to me (and I am sure, to many newcomers who have arrived or plan to come soon) though I read about them in detail on internet. I would like to know the following about each of these:

- Which ones are not time tested (no waiting period)
- Which ones are not income tested (no household income limit)
- Which ones are not employment tested (whether both partners are working or not)

Further, for example, if annual household income is $70k with wife not working, which of the above benefits can be claimed just upon arrival and how much would total benefit amount be (monthly), considering child care is used despite wife being at home and cost of childcare being $2200 a month?

Query 2:

For a couple WITHOUT kid or with kid not in Australia (query is for a friend), with annual household income $70k, and wife not working, which of the above benefits can be claimed?

Query 3:

If any of the above benefits are annual household income tested, please mention the income threshold along.

If someone can nicely summarize, it will give clarity on these important matters when we are planning our finances for the next fiscal year. Please don't share links of website, as I have checked them all but couldn't find all this info nicely put at one place. I found it difficult to comprehend.

Last but not the least, requesting @IT Guys who are good with MS Excel: Can you please make a nice template on Excel which calculates all the above on a single sheet basis the required inputs for any family and throws a total benefit amount for given circumstances? It will be very handy. I am not sure how difficult this task is though, but it will permanently solve the problem for most of such queries and give an accurate figure to the detail seekers. The inputs can be a) Date of arrival b) Married/ Unmarried c) No. of kids d) Husband working (Y/N) e) Spouse working (Y/N) f) Husband's income g) Spouse's income h) Child care centre expenses (monthly or fortnightly) and so on.... :)

I will seek the answers mainly from fellow members who have been claiming these (and have gone through the processes of claiming) to maintain the quality, accuracy and depth of the response. Thanks a tonne in advance.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further to my previous post, one more input in the excel model can be if child goes to child care centre at all. The more detailed the model is, more versatile its use will be. :)

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Query 1 (for a family with one kid):

A) There's 1) parenting payment and 2) child care rebate 3) child care benefit and 4) job, education and trailing child care fees assistance. What it the difference among these and which ones of these are claimable without waiting period of 2 yrs for recent PR holders who have moved ti Aus?

Ans: All these are well defined on humanservices website so please read it carefully

B) Family assistance part A and B payment

All these look pretty confusing to me (and I am sure, to many newcomers who have arrived or plan to come soon) though I read about them in detail on internet. I would like to know the following about each of these:

- Which ones are not time tested (no waiting period)
- Which ones are not income tested (no household income limit)
- Which ones are not employment tested (whether both partners are working or not)

Further, for example, if annual household income is $70k with wife not working, which of the above benefits can be claimed just upon arrival and how much would total benefit amount be (monthly), considering child care is used despite wife being at home and cost of childcare being $2200 a month?

Ans: 1: All these benefits are dependent on:

the nature of your accommodation, and
the nature and extent of your family relationships in Australia, and
the nature and extent of your employment, business or financial ties with Australia, and
the frequency and duration of your travel outside Australia, and
any other matter we think is relevant

For Family Tax A : You also need to satisfy an income test, meet residence requirements

For Family Tax B: The rate of Family Tax Benefit Part B is based on an income test. You also need to meet residence requirements.

Query 2:

For a couple WITHOUT kid or with kid not in Australia (query is for a friend), with annual household income $70k, and wife not working, which of the above benefits can be claimed?

Ans: When we say Family Benefits it means couple with Kids so No Kids NO Benefits

Query 3:

If any of the above benefits are annual household income tested, please mention the income threshold along.

If someone can nicely summarize, it will give clarity on these important matters when we are planning our finances for the next fiscal year. Please don't share links of website, as I have checked them all but couldn't find all this info nicely put at one place. I found it difficult to comprehend.

Last but not the least, requesting @IT Guys who are good with MS Excel: Can you please make a nice template on Excel which calculates all the above on a single sheet basis the required inputs for any family and throws a total benefit amount for given circumstances? It will be very handy. I am not sure how difficult this task is though, but it will permanently solve the problem for most of such queries and give an accurate figure to the detail seekers. The inputs can be a) Date of arrival b) Married/ Unmarried c) No. of kids d) Husband working (Y/N) e) Spouse working (Y/N) f) Husband's income g) Spouse's income h) Child care centre expenses (monthly or fortnightly) and so on.... :)

I will seek the answers mainly from fellow members who have been claiming these (and have gone through the processes of claiming) to maintain the quality, accuracy and depth of the response. Thanks a tonne in advance.[/QUOTE]

Ans: All the payment rates are clearly mentioned on humanservices website so I don't see any need of excel sheet, also all payments are different for all families as it depends on many factors.

Hope this helps.

Girl Aussie

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its as confusing as it gets . . .

@ girlaussie

When you say residency what do you mean ? If you mean that the person or family claiming the benefits is living in Australia, I think that is obvious. Residency requirement also means that the family has resided in Australia for 104 weeks atleast .But for FTB IMO it does not apply.

Another confusion is what to you mean by nature and extent of Family relationship is Australia? There is no mention of it in the centerlink website neither I have read any thing about ties with Australia in claiming Family Tax benefits. Can you elaborate these points please ?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: kettlerope

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

@ girlaussie

When you say residency what do you mean ? If you mean that the person or family claiming the benefits is living in Australia, I think that is obvious. Residency requirement also means that the family has resided in Australia for 104 weeks atleast .But for FTB IMO it does not apply.

Another confusion is what to you mean by nature and extent of Family relationship is Australia? There is no mention of it in the centerlink website neither I have read any thing about ties with Australia in claiming Family Tax benefits. Can you elaborate these points please ?

Thanks in advance

I completely agree with Babajani. It's as confusing as ever and hence the need of a clear, crisp, and easier excel sheet. There is a reason why I say it's time consuming and more than that, complicated.

@Girlaussie: Thanks for your response. However, it's very subjective. Can you please address the last paragraph of my Query 1 with an exact number? If you need any other info from my side to answer that portion, please let me know. As for nature of relationship goes, it is a stable marriage, couple and a kid living together :). Type of employer/s is private/ non-government. Type of job is full time. Superannuation contribution is included in the income mentioned. Travel frequency outside Australia is nil. Less than twice a year for less than 15 days' time. Age of the kid is 2.5 yrs. No own house or housing loan. Rent is say AUD 1400 a month. Time spent in Australia on PR - 1 year. I hope these details will help you to arrive at the exact answer. Scenario 2 could be the total income of say $100k with both husband and wife earning, break-up being 60k and 40k for husband and wife respectively. It will be good if you can reply for both scenario 1 and scenario 2. I will appreciate the total amount as well as the break-up of ALL applicable benefits. Thanks a lot, Girlaussie.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Girlaussie and other seniors who are reading it and are willing to help or confused as to whether help: Sorry for requesting for this help. Believe me, if it was easy and doable just by reading Centrelink pages, I wouldn't have asked for your help and would have done it myself. Not sure abt the people who have lived in Aus, but for newcomers it's very complicated as there are so many components to it. Forget about the details, even names of benefits get confusing at times. That's the reason I felt a need of starting this thread with the hope that we can arrive at a permanent, easy solution for families to calculate their benefits. Also, as Girlaussie mentioned, there are a number of input items but once fed, one can just change the numbers and calculate as to how changes in salaries, day care expenses, number of kids etc will change the amounts of their benefits.

@IT friends: I believe a comprehensive excel model should be doable and won't be as difficult a task as a complex banking model that many of you guys must be used to and are capable to build, including requirement gathering part of it.:). Any helping hands will be appreciated for the sake of a lot of new comers who will keep arriving in Aus and need this calculation inevitably even before they plan to arrive.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Have you tried using the child support estimator from the HumanServices website? Alternatively, you could also book a consultation at one of the HumanServices service centres, which would address more of your specific situation and queries. The amount of child care support is usually not a make-or-break criterion for people to determine whether to migrate or not, so it should be sufficient to tackle it once you are in Australia.

As a side-point: If you are asking people to build something for you for free, it usually goes over better if you put in some "seed" effort, develop a first version yourself and share it for others to improve and update ;). One issue is that the rules change all the time, so even a calculator would only have a limited life span if not updated regularly, which makes me think that it would not be the best investment of my time.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
It is clearly mentioned under 'Resident Requirements for Family Tax Benefit A & B - Living in Australia'

Residence descriptions

Why don't you guys go through this Family Tax Benefit form (I know its not Form A or B but those are more or less similar to this), go through this & get some understanding : http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/fa048-1407en.pdf

Girl Aussie

@ girlaussie

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would request all forum members who have recently arrived in Australia and claiming these benefits to share their experiences.

This will be of help to the newcomers.

Regards

Reactions: kettlerope
1 - 10 of 10 Posts