Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any tips for catching geckos in the home? At the moment, I lift a picture and try and snatch the guilty party should it be lurking underneath! I DON'T WANT THEM indoors----because:

1. They leave gecko poo everywhere (including a diahoha splat right down the middle of a light switch!!)

2. They set off the burglar alarm when we are miles from home, just about to tuck in to the main course!!

I see that WD40 applied round the area of the sensor is a put off for the little dudes----any more ideas?

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
I'll lend you my cat - she is known as the Gecko-blaster. :)

Seriously though, can't you learn to live with them? They are very efficient at eating flies and other unwanted guests. We have a whole family in the garage.

Do you know how they are getting into the house? Perhaps it's just a case of blocking their entrances.

·
Registered
19,467 Posts

Seriously though, can't you learn to live with them? T
If they were leaving gecko poo and diarrhoea in the house, and setting off the burglar alarm, I'd be pretty keen to get them out!
Sorry, no idea about getting rid of them, I only have them in the garden.
I wouldn't kill them though, as they are pretty innofensive as Alcalaina says

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Seriously though, can't you learn to live with them? They are very efficient at eating flies and other unwanted guests. We have a whole family in the garage.

Do you know how they are getting into the house? Perhaps it's just a case of blocking their entrances.
I was quite happy to live with them until they started setting the alarm off when we were an hour or more from home!!! If I manage to catch one I take it out into the garden and release it into the disused bread oven. We always have doors and windows open so they can always get in. I'll try the WD40 thing and see if that works---what does a few patches of oil on my pristine paintwork matter? Ha!

·
Registered
567 Posts

Hi - I agree, completely, with your assessment of their efficiency! When my family was based in Malaya/Singapore, many years ago, we nurtured our in-house gecko population! The equation was simple - More geckos, less mosquitos and other similarly vicious nasties!!!

Sadly, my pet dog's favourite entertainment woud be to sit, very patiently, eyes trained on the ceiling - just waiting for a scurrying, hapless gecko to lose its footing and drop
straight into her jaws of instant death…! Fortunately, she was rewarded, more often than not, with nothing more than a still wriggling tail - jettisoned by the escaping reptile, confident that its resulting 'stump' would regrow, over time! Clever, eh?

BBC Nature - Geckos videos, news and facts

Saludos,
GC

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dogs are the same:the baby geckos(being born as we squeak!) make great playthings for our two chihuahuas if we don't rescue them in time. They don't eat them,that's the job of the big dogs, they just toy them to death-----sad but true!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

It would have to be a Bloody Great Big Gecko.....

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Another issue is, do you want unwanted Geckos setting off the alarm or unwanted humans doing it?? We have a full alarm system including cameras and a company watching over the property except that it is entirely redundant. The video cameras are in place, the alarm wires are in place but it is all switched off. The cats (loads of them) set it off all the time so we had to disable it. But the burglars don't know that. And neither do the geckos although we don't get any because we have cats...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.