Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to marry my Romanian boyfriend in Spain. I am an American citizen. He is a Romanian citizen. But since he is also an EU citizen, is he able to establish permanent residence in Spain and thereby become eligible to sponsor me as a family member for purposes of me attaining permanent residence as well in Spain? Please, please help.

·
Administrator
36,383 Posts
I am trying to marry my Romanian boyfriend in Spain. I am an American citizen. He is a Romanian citizen. But since he is also an EU citizen, is he able to establish permanent residence in Spain and thereby become eligible to sponsor me as a family member for purposes of me attaining permanent residence as well in Spain? Please, please help.
I know that Romanians have the right to live & work in Spain, but I'm not sure if that counts as permanent residence

I know that gay marriage is possible here in Spain - some friends of mine are going through the process at the mo - though where we are there's a hugely long waiting list - I think they were told about a year

I'm afraid I have no idea if when married he would be able to sponsor you

you really need to see an immigration expert

·
Registered
39,063 Posts
I know that Romanians have the right to live & work in Spain, but I'm not sure if that counts as permanent residence

I know that gay marriage is possible here in Spain - some friends of mine are going through the process at the mo - though where we are there's a hugely long waiting list - I think they were told about a year

I'm afraid I have no idea if when married he would be able to sponsor you

you really need to see an immigration expert
If the same law that applies to heterosexual couples is also applicable here, then you should be able to apply for a relevant visa as someone married to (or in civil partnership with) an EU citizen. But since even a heterosexual marriage between a resident and non-resident in Spain is fraught with difficulties (and rules change from place to place), I don't expect it to be a straightforward procedure. You should make some local inquiries.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.