Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I are thinking about moving to Spain. He (Pedro) is originally from Spain so he is anxious for the change. I'm open to the possibilities.

Most important to me is to live somewhere where being "gay" is a non-issue. Both are in our early 50's, both professionals (Doctor/Real Estate). Pedro speaks fluent Spanish, I'll have to work on my skills. I guess we are just looking for a more laid back life style. Maybe we'll work, maybe we won't. Need to have enough activities nearby to keep us busy.

Any thoughts on a location? If we buy we probably won't spend more than $500,000 US on a home. I'm not opposed to renting, at least until we are sure of the city we most would like to live. Pedro is hot on Valencia? I prefer a little farther south, say Granada.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Kevin

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Hi Kevin.
Well I know that you will be welcome in Xativa (Valencia region) as we often visit a gay run bar there & Lee the owner never seems to have any problems (quite the opposite) in his bar, or area.

BTW we are straight. ;)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I went to Granada last year, well it was O.K. but I won't be going back.

The Spanish seem extremely tolerant of all people, so being Gay shouldn't be an issue.

H

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Not an issue. We are two 'mature' gay females living in a small community.
Noone is interested in our sexuality and when you think about it why should they be:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You are unlikely to get problems in Spain. I have lived in a very gay City (when I say very gay i mean with a large gay scene and big gay population) but now I live in the campo and I think I am definately the only gay in the village. Myself and my Spanish partner never have problems anywhere we go… we have been to Granada and walked the streets hand in hand at night, no issues, and we have done the same in many parts of Spain.

Granada doesnt have much in teh way of "gay scene", Valencia has much more… but I guess that depends if you want scene or not! I used to frequent the Benidorm gay bars a lot in my younger days but now I never step foot in a gay bar, I mix with those straight folk and much prefer it.. but then again I am quite straight friendly and don't have any prejudice towards them :p jaja

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I've met and seen loadsa gay folk wherever I've lived in Spain - its not a problem from what I've seen!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most Spaniards have a very live and let live attitude in general. There just aren't the extreme points of view with regards to homosexuality that you find can in the United States ranging from the very open and accepting in places like San Francisco or New York City to the extremely closed that I imagine runs rampant in the Bible Belt. You'll be absolutely fine almost anywhere in Spain, especially in coastal areas.

·
Registered
15,916 Posts
I've never observed any homophobia here. Spain was one of the first countries to legalise same-sex marriage (2005). The present government, though some of them aren't happy with it, have promised not to repeal the law.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm a steam train enthusiast....do I need counseling? Get a life and grab it with both hands...time is not on your side...you are what you are...enjoy!

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
I'm a steam train enthusiast....do I need counseling? Get a life and grab it with both hands...time is not on your side...you are what you are...enjoy!
The difference possibly being the amount of steam train enthusiasts that have been beaten up, insulted and demeaned for being "what they are"...

·
Registered
108 Posts
My partner and I are thinking about moving to Spain. He (Pedro) is originally from Spain so he is anxious for the change. I'm open to the possibilities.

Most important to me is to live somewhere where being "gay" is a non-issue. Both are in our early 50's, both professionals (Doctor/Real Estate). Pedro speaks fluent Spanish, I'll have to work on my skills. I guess we are just looking for a more laid back life style. Maybe we'll work, maybe we won't. Need to have enough activities nearby to keep us busy.

Any thoughts on a location? If we buy we probably won't spend more than $500,000 US on a home. I'm not opposed to renting, at least until we are sure of the city we most would like to live. Pedro is hot on Valencia? I prefer a little farther south, say Granada.

Any thoughts and suggestions?
Hi,

Everyone seems to be coming out on here, myself and my partner got married near to Antequera in the town hall, then we had a blessing on the park where i live, all the straights organised the day for us, it was wonderful, its very gay friendly in both the village and the city of Antequera. We prefer inland Spain.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Si !!!!!

I was Dupty Mayor for a couple of years...lived there for 35 years !

I have family in Swanage....I'm a Dorset girl. Family in Weymouth, Shaftesbury, Dorchester, Wimborne, Blandford....

When I was young (a long time ago) we used to go on that railway when it was a working line. We'd go to Corfe, visit the castle, have lunch at the pub -I think it was called The Banks Arms?- then go on to Swanage for an afternoon on the beach.

My ex-husband bought a house in Swanage, near the cliffs, by the Durlston Globe...you probably know it, a big white house with its own path to the beach.. They converted it into two 'semis' sold up and went back to London, then bought a flat in Swanage for weekend and holiday use.

That area has changed so much in the last forty to fifty years....

·
Registered
552 Posts
:focus: To the OP
To get back to the subject however...what I meant was you can be anything you want, anywhere you want, it's all in the mind. Why would anyone care whether you were gay in Spain? If you are the sort of person however who makes a point of kissing your partner in public or wearing outlandish clothes then you can expect "attention" regardless of where you live. It's a bit like these women who insist on breast feeding babies in public places and demand the right so to do...why??. It's quite natural, just don't make a big thing of it. If you are a normal, quiet, law abiding citizen nobody will care what your predilections are in private...just live life fully and enjoy, it's all yours for the taking .

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We have a few gay friends who don't have any problems. They live in the next town, Alcaudete, but there are some around here who live in quite small villages, also with no problems. Just be yourselves, don't impinge on the lives of others and they won't bother you. You will find a certain number of locals who will welcome you because you are 'different' and a certain number who will shun you because you are 'different'!

$500,000? are you looking for a mansion or something like a private estate. We have a five bedroomed house on five levels including an attic suitable for a roof terrace or three more bedrooms and another bathroom which cost us €85,000 four years ago (probably about €50,000 now) so you don't need to worry about spending that much. Of course, it will all depend on where you choose to fetch up. We are inland where everything is much less expensive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts