Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving to the Kathikas area in April. I am a keen gardener. Any advise would be appreciated. I am particularly interested in herbs, veg and fruit.
Thanks
Anne:)

·
Registered
841 Posts
We are moving to the Kathikas area in April. I am a keen gardener. Any advise would be appreciated. I am particularly interested in herbs, veg and fruit.
Thanks
You shouldn't have any problem at all. My in-laws have lemons, oranges, Chinese Apples, figs, apples, basil, sage, rosemary...what else?? They have more that I just can't remember right now. They don't have any problems with fruit flies or other pests, but they do also employ a gardener to help take care of their garden.

This website has a lot of helpful hints on planting and growing in Cyprus:
Fruit Tree Planting Guide - Cyprus Gardener - information, tips and advice on growing organic produce in a Mediterranean climate

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldn't have any problem at all. My in-laws have lemons, oranges, Chinese Apples, figs, apples, basil, sage, rosemary...what else?? They have more that I just can't remember right now. They don't have any problems with fruit flies or other pests, but they do also employ a gardener to help take care of their garden.

This website has a lot of helpful hints on planting and growing in Cyprus:
Fruit Tree Planting Guide - Cyprus Gardener - information, tips and advice on growing organic produce in a Mediterranean climate
Thanks so much for your reply. Can't wait to get there. We have sleet at the moment!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply. Can't wait to get there. We have sleet at the moment!
Hi,

I was told that 'everything' grows here as it's a micro climate.

Last summer was my first, my tomatoes were lovely, but the drawf runners were a disaster!, it just seemed too hot for them, unless I was doing something wrong.

I have a small orange and lemon tree and haven't had fruit yet but loads of flowers, but it is so windy where I am so not sure if that has something to do with it, they drop off! but just looking at all the orchards they don't get cosseted,:rolleyes:

I also like the Cyprus Gardener site, it has lots of info and recipes and the booklet The Good Garden Guide by Barbara Strain, which I picked up from the Grapevine office in Paphos, has tips for success .

My gardening friend is SO green fingered! She just sticks plants in water or soil and BINGO!

Happy gardening.:)

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you have a large garden or pots then you may want to set up an irrigation system especially if you are going to the UK for a holiday.

The most expensive item will be the timer and I have some spare bits if you need them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks
Good afternoon,

The biggest problem we find is that everything grows so well and fast, if you drop a seed it will sprout, we have had 'free' tomatoes,marrows,melons and aubergines also a fig tree has self seeded. The herbs are so lush and very strong in comparison to those we used to grow in UK. Sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme and mint just to name a few. Runner beans were a failure as apparently it is too hot for them to set, I did plant some the first year and they were beautiful plants with loads of flowers but none set, and I planted them earlier in the hope to miss the very hot weather.

At the moment my daffofils are in full flower under the orange tree, I have just pruned my roses and the Bougainvillea is just budding. We still have snow around here.

Gardening is very different but the rewards are well worth the effort, in spite of 6 foot tomato plants!!!

Good luck and enjoy!!!!:clap2::clap2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts