Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I'm moving to the UK in 2 months to a city called Chester in England. I've been there before and am totally comfortable with the surroundings and getting around and I have many friends there whom I lived with this past summer. I'll be there approximately 3 months and depart to Ireland to do a work holiday up to 12 months. I'm really nervous about this part as I have no idea if Ireland is hard to find work and a shared flat..specifically Dublin. I'm using this work holiday as a buffer before I go to my masters in London at Central Saint Martins. I got admitted to this years program....but if any of you know the student visa for the UK is ridiculous/time consuming for us Americans.

Anyways, has anyone found luck in Ireland as a young adult finding work and a place to stay thats reasonably priced?

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Hello,

So I'm moving to the UK in 2 months to a city called Chester in England. I've been there before and am totally comfortable with the surroundings and getting around and I have many friends there whom I lived with this past summer. I'll be there approximately 3 months and depart to Ireland to do a work holiday up to 12 months. I'm really nervous about this part as I have no idea if Ireland is hard to find work and a shared flat..specifically Dublin. I'm using this work holiday as a buffer before I go to my masters in London at Central Saint Martins. I got admitted to this years program....but if any of you know the student visa for the UK is ridiculous/time consuming for us Americans.

Anyways, has anyone found luck in Ireland as a young adult finding work and a place to stay thats reasonably priced?
The unemployment rate in the UK is about 8%. The economy is in terrible shape. The most unskilled job openings attract 100s of qualified and over qualified applicants. By comparison, the unemployment rate in Ireland is nearly double that of the UK at about 15%. You should expect a very difficult and competitive job search.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
Hello,

If your idea is to earn enough during your gap year in Ireland to finance your studies in London, think again. As stated, economy in both countries is in a terrible shape and there are huge numbers of unemployed youth - those with local qualification and experience. You may pick up a pub job or similar, but pay is poor and is barely enough to live on, let alone save for future.

To be granted Tier 4 adult student visa for studying in London, you must be able to pay tuition fees - £12,700 in 2012 - plus living costs worked out at £1000 a month for inner London. So you need over £22,000 (around $35,000) in savings or regular remittances from home to pass financial requirement for a visa. See Visas and immigration - University of the Arts London

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Ive looked at the student visa requirements....a lot of things to accomplish with that. That's one of the reasons why I postponed school till next year. As for financing London by working in Ireland....not at all. Just wanted to do something fun and different being a graduate with a year off. 15% unemployment is ridiculous though. I was hoping to get a retail job but if pubs are only available I'd think again possibly.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yeah Ive looked at the student visa requirements....a lot of things to accomplish with that. That's one of the reasons why I postponed school till next year. As for financing London by working in Ireland....not at all. Just wanted to do something fun and different being a graduate with a year off. 15% unemployment is ridiculous though. I was hoping to get a retail job but if pubs are only available I'd think again possibly.
Oh! I thought from your other thread that you had already arranged work in Dublin and had a visa for that. Whoops!

Erm, which means if you decide to come through Chester, UK this summer before going on to Dublin, you really need to have things like an exit ticket and sufficient funds!

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you, but as previously stated on this thread, unemployment in the UK and in Ireland is very high, and if you come to the UK stating you are hoping to find work whilst on a visitor visa they will put you on a plane straight back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.