Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.. im in the united states.. and for a few reasons, im unhappy in the country i am in... i cant say the reasons i want to leave here are going to be different in any other country.. but atleast i would not longer have to watch my country destroy itself

ive been to europe before, and there are a few general things i really like about europe, the history, the ancient architecture, the culture, the music... i really enjoyed my visits there (they were to germany) and i believe i would be happier living there than here..

currently, im a student of mechanical engineering and science and plan to finish my degree before i go.. and i speak english and a fair amount of german with some latin and russian... i wanted a strong base in all the major language groups in europe (germanic, romance, and slavic) so unless i go to greece ill already have a good start with the language...

the countries ive been thinking about are czech republic, switzerland, italy, poland, sweden and to some distant extent i might consider ukraine...

so.. im looking to hear more about these countries, and which ones you personally believe would be the best countries for me to look into since i plan on visiting them all first, for atleast a week each and if i like the place, then go through the process of finding work and moving there...

im saving money for the journey, checked out the average prices of small apartments, costs of food, and im going to save up atleast enough to live on for 6 months, but probably closer to the amount i will need to live in either country for a year which should give me plenty of time to learn the language, and find stable, long term employment and am even considering a TEFL certificate to increase my chances...

so, specific immigration laws aside, as im willing to go through whatevers neccessary to legally move if i find a place i love... of these places, and any other countries you could think of, what would you suggest?...

some more about me... i enjoy architecture, history, and enjoy spending a long day in a museum, also i enjoy a lot of outdoor activities, camping, hiking, fishing, skiing... and as a student of engineering and science i would like to find a place where i can comfortably, and legally experiment with different machines and chemicals as i do now in my free time...

well, thanks in advance for any advice/assistance received..

Jason S

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Well, you're off to a good start - with a degree in mechanical engineering and some knowledge of German you have a very good chance in the job market - particularly Germany, Switzerland, Austria (the German speaking countries). First job out of university is definitely the hardest, especially with unemployment among young people as high as it is in most of Europe - you may want to consider getting a couple years of experience under your belt in the US, as it will definitely help in the job search.

Most European countries these days will expect you to find the job first and then have your employer sponsor your visa. This ties you to the specific employer, at least for the first couple years you're in the country - but at least the sponsor goes through the hoops with the Ministry of Labor to get you authorized to work. After five years in an EU country, you can usually move elsewhere in the EU, as a long-term EU resident.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im thinking of also picking up a TEFL certificate which should help my chances of getting my foot in the door in some of the more recent additions to the EU... someone i talked to gave me a very nice website dealing with employment in the czech republic and there are a lot of businesses looking for native english speakers to deal with sales, or tourists... id consider a job such as that to get started if i had to... and once fluent in czech i could move on to something relating to engineering..

actually, if i could find a job dealing with tourists, which with my knowledge of different language, plus being a native english speaker should help me get, i would consider finishing my degree there... costs less to pay for an apartment, utilities, and food as well as tuition than what it costs to pay tuition alone here in the US

sweden is very scarcely populated so im not sure it would have as many opportunities... switzerland is VERY strict on immigration, so getting there could be fairly difficult... germany is so westernized my native english would give me almost no advantage and they seem to have a lot of competition in the job market with turkish immigrants

if im wrong with any of those assumptions, feel free to correct me as right now theyre just assumptions..

also, i think i may give ukraine, and to lesser extent, russia a bit more of a consideration.. but im looking for a place i can really connect to, a place i feel i can feel at home at... it may sound strange but i want to find a place that just feels like i belong there, a place i can have a connection, a bond to... and it just doesnt seem to be here anymore, and i think everyone needs something like that

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry, Jason, but people like you are a dime a dozen in CZ. I concur with Bev. Get a job first and then, find a way to go abroad (preferably with that job). Don't be picky about where you go, just go.

If you want Russia, start learning Russia now.
Your native English isn't going to give you many advantages at all...unless you want to work in a call center. Going rate for that work in Prague is about CZK20-30,000/month. Teaching English is even less. You could also get a teaching certificate and try the International School route. Check out expats.cz and jobs.cz for current opportunities in CZ and salary ranges. Check out linkedin.com for opportunities everywhere. Indeed.com also has country specific sites but again, that work permit can be a huge hurdle.

Still, if I were you, I would concentrate on my engineering. Get a job with an mnc and move abroad with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts