Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm a newbie to all of this and have been reading the forums for a while now.
I have the opportunity to move to Dubai with my employer and have found some great information on here. One thing is and sorry to ask this as I'm sure it'll seem pretty silly when I have the answer, but what exactly do people mean when they are saying that they buy they furniture out in Dubai because then at least it fits?
Thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
i'm not sure exactly, but if i had to guess i would say it means if you ship your furniture before you actually find your new place in dubai, you won't know if all the furniture will actually fit in the space.

for example, if you rent an apartment, many things may not even fit into the lift.

you may bring a large four poster king size bedroom set but you may not have a master large enough to fit it all.

i would think that is what people mean. so instead of risking the cost of a container to ship lots of large furniture that may not even fit into the new home [and you wait 30+ days to get it] they are saying sell it, save the money on shipping and insurance, and just buy stuff when you get here.

my husband and i lived in a small bungalow in toronto and didn't even think we'd manage to fill a half [20'] container. so we decided to sell it all save what we could pack in suitcases and started over in dubai. have managed to find many good deals on dubizzle as the turnover rate here is huge and people are often selling new [less than a year old even!] stuff for great prices.

if i am missing something here i'm sure i'll be corrected :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts