Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
I have sufficient funds in my (our) bank to pay for my funeral when and where it will occurs.

I personally see no point in paying a company for a specific plan, as for example, if that is in Spain, I may not be here, or it may be decided something other than a pre-set plan is required. If one has the funds they can decide.

Most funerals are overpriced, as people either do not feel they are physiologically able, or that to negotiate would in some way be insulting to the deceased or their memory. A funeral is a service and as such, one can get a better deal if they choose to try.

Some years ago I had to bury my brother. I shopped around, 3 funeral directors, and on the third attempt got the ‘first funeral’ for 50% of the first quote.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I wonder if some of those Companies offering plans will be around when you need them;)

There does seem to be a trend in the UK for expensive funerals. Lots having the full works, carriage, geezer walking in front etc. Bit like a Gangster or a soap opera. and everyone seems to have those booklets with photo of deceased and a bio of their life.

I want the cheapest possible and OH will have the same.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I wonder if some of those Companies offering plans will be around when you need them;)

There does seem to be a trend in the UK for expensive funerals. Lots having the full works, carriage, geezer walking in front etc. Bit like a Gangster or a soap opera. and everyone seems to have those booklets with photo of deceased and a bio of their life.

I want the cheapest possible and OH will have the same.
I agree with you. In fact I suggested to my son and dil that it won't be worth their wasting money flying over when I kick the bucket as I'll most likely be disposed of before they get here.
Although I suppose my OH might appreciate the company.
We gave my mum the cheapest funeral not because we were skint or stingy but because we knew that if we'd had anything elaborate she would have appeared before us and told us not to waste our money.
I want to be cremated, not stuck up in a niche in the wall, and my ashes flung in the sea. If it were legal, I'd be content with a funeral pyre and a jerrycan of petrol in the back garden.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Whilst there are two of us, we'll just pay cash for the funeral of whichever of us goes first. If I were left alone, though, I think I might look into a pre-paid funeral (with a local Spanish company, I suspect the companies who advertise in the expat might prove a lot more expennsive) as it would be a lot easier for the family who are all in the UK and wouldn't have a clue about arranging a Spanish funeral, and I wouldn't want to burden them with it. Both of us want the bare minimum of fuss and expense.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My husband and I both have funeral plans - not because we cannot afford it but for several reasons.

1. With a joint account, when one of you dies the bank account is frozen and you may not be able to get at the money to pay for the funeral

2. I want my friends and family in the UK to be able to get here if they want to come and say goodbye. With a funeral plan you can pay to have the funeral delayed past the usual 24-48 hours which is the norm here

3. If we were to die together - eg in an accident - I don't want my family in the UK to have the burden of trying to arrange a funeral in a foreign country in a language they cannot speak or understand.

4. I want to say what type of funeral I want - things are done very differently here - most of which I would not be happy with

Our plan is for here in Spain but, should we die elsewhere, it can be adapted and used for a funeral in the UK

Having had several friends die in the last few years (happens when you get to our age) I have seen how awful things can get here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi DunWorkin,

Are you permitted or prepared to say - with whom is your plan?.... I need some advice.

I have just cashed in my Pre-paid UK funeral plan & wish to take out another, in Spain.

My reasons are the same as yourself. Also, myself & husband have different religions, which would make it difficult for him - if, I should go first....

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi DunWorkin,

Are you permitted or prepared to say - with whom is your plan?.... I need some advice.

I have just cashed in my Pre-paid UK funeral plan & wish to take out another, in Spain.

My reasons are the same as yourself. Also, myself & husband have different religions, which would make it difficult for him - if, I should go first....
Ours are with a company called Avalon. We have a card we carry with us so if anything should happen the police call an emergency number and they contact your family, an English speaking funeral director etc

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
I have just sent an email to a funeral directors on Costa Del Sol for a quote.

When I have found out what they provide, the cost etc, I will update here.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have just sent an email to a funeral directors on Costa Del Sol for a quote.

When I have found out what they provide, the cost etc, I will update here.
Make sure you check out what financial backing they have and how you can be sure that they will be around in the future. The company we use are backed by an independent trust.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thank you very much :)

It is a company that I have, already, researched. We have the money - but it would give me peace of mind to sort everything out, in advance. Not only for my husband's sake - but for the children back in the UK.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I'd be content with a funeral pyre and a jerrycan of petrol in the back garden.
"Petrol" ??????? at that price - you'll just get a bit of paraffin and like it!

We have a policy with Mapfre. A friend recently died and he was also with them, very quick, clean and tidy, no messing about. Pop round to the undertaker later and pick up the cenicero.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
"Petrol" ??????? at that price - you'll just get a bit of paraffin and like it!

We have a policy with Mapfre. A friend recently died and he was also with them, very quick, clean and tidy, no messing about. Pop round to the undertaker later and pick up the cenicero.
Hmm...we've got two of those big containers of paraffin in the cellar....

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Just taken out funeral ins with Allianz for 54euro a year. Age dependant of course but this was for 61 year old.

Check them out.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Please understand. I did not say I was going to pay anyone up front.

I have asked what the cost would be now for what I want. Thus, when the time comes, my wife or son will have a very good idea what can be obtained for the price quoted.

I would not give my money to any company on the understanding that they might still have it when required, or that they would even still be in business. I have investigated too many ‘cast iron’ companies that have gone broke and left customers in the lurch to fall for that one.

On the point of paying a company every year. Why woul done do that? You can only 'win' by dying early. It is very clear the companies make money at the expense of the customers who do not die early. Just like boomakers they never loose, but on average the punters always do,.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Please understand. I did not say I was going to pay anyone up front.

I have asked what the cost would be now for what I want. Thus, when the time comes, my wife or son will have a very good idea what can be obtained for the price quoted.

I would not give my money to any company on the understanding that they might still have it when required, or that they would even still be in business. I have investigated too many ‘cast iron’ companies that have gone broke and left customers in the lurch to fall for that one.

On the point of paying a company every year. Why woul done do that? You can only 'win' by dying early. It is very clear the companies make money at the expense of the customers who do not die early. Just like boomakers they never loose, but on average the punters always do,.
Well that is the nature of insurance is it not ?

Anyway a fairly simple burial here in a niche (bit cheaper for cremation) is around 2k all in.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Someone we know paid over €3000 for a very basic cremation and that was about 8 years ago. Some of the cost was for storing the body until relatives from the UK could fly out.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It is something that does need a bit of thought.

And thanks to many many threads on here remember- if you are dead for 90 consecutive days you need to register and you're liable for tax if your dead for more than 183 days in a calendar year

·
Registered
122 Posts
We will make sure we have money saved to pay for the first funeral and then who ever is left, well not our problem as we will not know what is happening. My mum asked me 'if Steve dies first, who will bury you?' well I will not care, I will be dead.

What does happen to someone if they die and they have no family in Spain?
What happens to any property? We do have family in UK & he has a son in Canada, but we do not speak to any of them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts