Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an American photographer and my wife is an American writer. We are both freelance. We are thinking about trying to move to Vancouver, BC, but don't really have an idea of how difficult this would be.

Anyone have any good insight?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Canada has a point system for immigration for skilled professionals. You can find the test online and see if you qualify. They are usually looking (like everyone else) for professors, medical personnel, IT professionals, etc. But you never know unless you try.

You might also fit in the self-employed artist status, so check into that. I've found that artist is often broadly defined.

Let us know how it goes.

This site explains things quite well:

CBC Becoming Canadian: Immigration Overview

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am an American photographer and my wife is an American writer. We are both freelance. We are thinking about trying to move to Vancouver, BC, but don't really have an idea of how difficult this would be.

Thanks very much.
Do you have a degree? Check the following list to see if you could possibly squeeze into one of these NAFTA Professional categories. Perhaps you do some Graphic Designer work with the photgraphs you take? And perhaps your wife does Technical Writer work? If you can, a TN visa may be much simpler and less painful than the standard Canadian immigration route.

North American Free Trade Agreement

Just so I can have some context:
Are you looking to move permanently or just for a few years? Have you ever lived in Vancouver before? And is there a particular reason you want to move there?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts

Thanks very much.
There is an entreprenuer scheme whereby you can set up and/or buy a Canadian business - its a very complex program, my brother has applied and has his business but it has taken at least two years and he still probably has another year to go. He is dual UK/USA citizen.

I don't know any more details, sorry

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts