Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lived and worked in the US prior to moving, living and working in the UK. In the US, I worked my way up into management of services for vulnerable adults (facility management, case management, advocacy, day program management, etc. I worked up in this way to an annual salary of $45,000 a year. I have a bachelor's degree in art and psychology.

Upon searching for employment here in the UK, I've not been able to get a management job. For a job in upper management, you have to have QCF/NVQ qualifications, which isn't a factor in the US. I've had to restart work as a care staff, right back where I started 15 years ago, from the bottom up.

I've got the skills and ability to manage, but because I already hold a university degree, my employer won't sponsor me for placement to work on obtaining the qualifications necessary to move up the career ladder.

Anyone else in this position, or had this happen to you?
Working on minimum wage is a struggle, when I had a decent income in the US....'

Any thoughts, ideas, and/or advice would be very, very appreciated.

:violin:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Many people face the same issues as you did, as qualifications do not often translate from country to country, and job descriptions and skills will vary. Unfortunately there isn't a lot in terms of advice, except to work on attaining the required qualifications in the UK to enable you to get back to a level similar to what you were doing in the US. Can you do that on your own time/money rather than require your employer to sponsor you? Would still be beneficial in the long run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.