Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Expats!

I'm filtering all of the countries for a while and I'm left with hand of them. I can't visit all, but would like to decide on 2-3 to do it. Could you share your valuable experience with me?

We are a young couple. I'm a junior strategy consultant after a good university. My gf is a make-up artist, an assistant to a manager in a well known make-up brand.

We are looking for: good career opportunities, friendly people, warm weather and a variety of things to do. Diversity is a must. We prefer big cities, fast life and we are ready to work hard - if it is worth it.

This is the list we came up with until now, but any other propositions are welcome. Please tell us what do you think! :D
Which would you consider and why?

Tier 1
Australia
Barbados
Colombia
Hong Kong
Taiwan

Tier2
Czech Republic
Singapore

Tier 3
Bahrain
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Philippines

Here are additional ones that we still take into consideration, but for a number of reasons do not sort in the main list.
Argentina
Bahamas
Chile
Costa Rica
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Portugal
Spain
Thailand
United States of America (USA)
Uruguay
Vietnam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear Australia is super duper hard to get into
I follow up all major cities in Australia for jobs in my field and almost all require to already have the papers. Additionally my gf has arachnophobia. Besides that, it seems to be a great country to live in.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Personally, I would not get too involved with anybody who has any kind of untreated phobia leftover from childhood as it can cramp your style and complicate your life. I live in Italy, a place not known for tropical insects because, of course it's not in the tropics. But my companion, who grew up in Arizona, has never gotten over the fact that Scorpions and bugs live in Arizona. For this reason, I am not allowed to use any type of bed covering that may come within four inches of the floor. There are also many other restrictions in normal living circumstances that I am forced to adhere to because this person has never been treated for or grown out of his phobias. Phobia is a mental illness. If you like to travel and want to see the world, it might be best to do it without someone who suffers from mental illness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Expats!

I'm filtering all of the countries for a while and I'm left with hand of them. I can't visit all, but would like to decide on 2-3 to do it. Could you share your valuable experience with me?

We are a young couple. I'm a junior strategy consultant after a good university. My gf is a make-up artist, an assistant to a manager in a well known make-up brand.

We are looking for: good career opportunities, friendly people, warm weather and a variety of things to do. Diversity is a must. We prefer big cities, fast life and we are ready to work hard - if it is worth it.

This is the list we came up with until now, but any other propositions are welcome. Please tell us what do you think!

Tier 1
Australia
Barbados
Colombia
Hong Kong
Taiwan

Tier2
Czech Republic
Singapore

Tier 3
Bahrain
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Philippines

Here are additional ones that we still take into consideration, but for a number of reasons do not sort in the main list.
Argentina
Bahamas
Chile
Costa Rica
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Portugal
Spain
Thailand
Uruguay
Vietnam
Toronto would be great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would avoid Barbados because it's a small island, and Hong Kong because it's too crowded. And apartments are awfully expensive there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Expats!

This is the list we came up with until now, but any other propositions are welcome. Please tell us what do you think! :D

Tier 1
Australia
Barbados
Colombia
Hong Kong
Taiwan

Tier2
Czech Republic
Singapore

Tier 3
Bahrain
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Philippines

Argentina
Bahamas
Chile
Costa Rica
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Portugal
Spain
Thailand
Uruguay
Vietnam
I guess Australia is the great place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your list is all over the place lol. I would suggest that maybe you're not quite ready to settle down just yet. Maybe don't move anywhere permanently until you've actually been to the places in your list and can get a better idea of what life is like in each of those potential destinations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Expats!

Tier 1
Australia
Barbados
Colombia
Hong Kong
Taiwan

Tier2
Czech Republic
Singapore

Tier 3
Bahrain
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Philippines

Argentina
Bahamas
Chile
Costa Rica
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Portugal
Spain
Thailand
Uruguay
Vietnam
Hi James,

Good luck with your search! I can only speak for some but:
-Czech Republic: Good connection to other E.U countries (like Austria - where I am, Vienna is a beautiful city by the way... ranked #1/#2 highlest life quality, just saying ;))
-Singapore: So international! Wow! Super easy to live in/adapt to (western lifestyle with gates to the eastern lifestyles as well).
-United States of America (USA): I would target the west or east coast... San Francisco - where I'm from is very diverse but also incredibly expensive, Seattle & Portland not too far away as the same charm but more affordable... New York is also amazing but again quite expensive.
-Vietnam: Very beautiful country and lifesytle - fast paced yet easy going... afforable, great weather, delicious food. I do warn that English won't get you through the entire country though - in the main cities & big stores most younger people can speak English but in the smaller stores (i.e. houses with stuff inside)... probably not. But no fear everyone has a calculator on hand to show you what the price is ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts