Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Default Permanent Resident
Greetings!
I am an American married to an Australian for 15 years, and we lived in the US together for 17 years in total before being in a position to come live in Australia. We have now been living in Queensland for just over 12 months. I have been a permanent resident since I arrived here.

I am finding it extremely difficult to find employment, I have had several interviews, but no work has been gained. I am a former female US Marine, have plenty of office assistant experience, however my skills don't seem to translate very well to the Australian workplace needs. I have a cert III in Business but that still has not helped me to land a job. I firmly believe that I am in need of some education here to help in this area, as I have plenty of rejection letters to prove my point. However as a resident I do not qualify for any financial assistance and we are struggling just to get by as it is.

Are there any exceptions to the 4 year residency requirement to apply for citizenship? We are struggling to make ends meets on just my husband's income. I want to be a contributing factor to our household, and a contributing factor to the community by being a tax payer.

Please if anyone can chime in and advise I would be sincerely grateful.

Kind Regards,
Karenza

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hello, sorry to hear about your situation. I have given the same advise to a few different people in similar situation as my wife was exactly in the same situation few months back and it has worked for her.
Try to focus your efforts on call centers, not too difficult to get in, wont pay much but you get yourself inside the job market and with little experience you can start gaining meaningful employment soon. Another thing is to do a Cert 3 is child care and with a little luck you can again get an average paying job without a sales headache easily.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There are no exceptions that you fit into. You are really saying that you want citizenship so you can get a discounted (deferred payment) university education. Not going to happen. There are jobs out there, you need to sit down with a career counsellor and work out where you are going wrong. Are you getting calls? Or are you not getting to that point? It could be that you are not looking at the right type of job, CV is not correct, or you are failing the interview. Knowing where you are going wrong would be a more productive plan for you now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So then the following would 't apply?
GRR discretion ? Significant hardship or disadvantage

The Act provides discretion to treat periods of lawful residence in Australia during the 12 months immediately before applying as periods of permanent residence if the person can demonstrate that they would suffer significant hardship or disadvantage if not conferred Australian citizenship.

Significant hardship or disadvantage is usually shown where the applicant can demonstrate:

inability to gain employment on the grounds that the employment is restricted to Australian citizens, and that comparable or alternative employment is not reasonably available;
difficulty of international travel because the person cannot obtain a passport from their country of nationality/citizenship, or are unable to use a passport issued by that country for safety or similar reasons;
academic (e.g. research, academic scholarship) or other (sporting, etc.) potential is being limited or restricted, because the opportunities to reach that potential is available only to an Australian citizen, to the extent that it causes significant hardship.

I suppose we will see what happens.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
that applies to people who have to leave the country while they are permanent residents in the fourth year.

There are no provisions to shorten the 4 years for spouses. There are some other provisions for people who work FIFO (Fly in, fly out) or people who partake in activities of benefit to Australia.

Also I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, the Citizenship act is going to be amended and most probably they will make it longer than 4 years

http://www.immi.gov.au/pub-res/Docu...our-right-your-responsibility-citizenship.pdf

·
Registered
460 Posts
None of those apply to you. You are not required to be a citizen to complete a PhD because your field is restricted to being a citizen for a final placement (e.g. you were needing to work at a nuclear facility for a year to complete the project)

You have not found a job that is all. You wish to study at university for a cheap price...that is all. None of those are due hArdship. If they were then absolutely every person on this website would be eligible to become a citizen straight away. The general rule for looking for a job in the professional world is 100 applications, 10 interviews, 1 job offer. That itself should take 3 months. Your spouse if not disabled should have no difficulty finding a job and if working he is expected to support you so there is no hardship to claim.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Are you on 100 Visa? By financial assistance, do you mean Centrelink payments OR HELP Loans for university?

As a PR and a holder of 100 Visa (as I assume), you are exempted from the newly arrived waiting period for Centrelink payments and can claim benefits.

As a PR in general, you are entitled to domestic tuition (DTF) and commonwealth supported place (CSP) at universities, you are not entitled to HELP loans (HECS-HELP and FEES-HELP) though

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
that applies to people who have to leave the country while they are permanent residents in the fourth year. There are no provisions to shorten the 4 years for spouses. There are some other provisions for people who work FIFO (Fly in, fly out) or people who partake in activities of benefit to Australia. Also I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, the Citizenship act is going to be amended and most probably they will make it longer than 4 years http://www.immi.gov.au/pub-res/Documents/discussion-papers/your-right-your-responsibility-citizenship.pdf
That document doesn't explicitly state that they will extend the residency requirement beyond only four years, only that it is something they may be considering. And there are usually transitional arrangements in place for people who become PR before the change, like in 2007 when they changed it from 2 to 4 years.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
That document doesn't explicitly state that they will extend the residency requirement beyond only four years, only that it is something they may be considering. And there are usually transitional arrangements in place for people who become PR before the change, like in 2007 when they changed it from 2 to 4 years.
I never said they will definitely do that, but most probably they will .....

transitional requirements MAY be included. It's a possibility

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I never said they will definitely do that, but most probably they will .....

transitional requirements MAY be included. It's a possibility
It's all theoretical at this point. Not that it concerns me greatly since I probably wouldn't bother with becoming a citizen but I don't think it's worth worrying about until anything is actually stated on the topic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts